Hello,
Does anyone know a good way to bulk import options into a custom field I wish to create? I have a csv file with 1000 values that need to be options in a custom single choice select list I am creating called "Account Name" for one of my Jira projects.
Bella, Create a CSV file and imort into JIRA.
Example of CSV FIle:
Summary,My Custom Field
TEST,option1
TEST,option2
test,option3
Do this for all the options you want to import.Navigate to JIRA. Use the "external system import" to import the CSV file you created. I'd recommend importing into a dummy project that you can delete afterwards. You will end up creating as many issues as options you have, one for each option.
Make sure in the importer, you map the custom field column to the correct one as it will try and create options for select lists, checkboxes, ect.
Does this make sure?
Hi @Kian Stack Mumo Systems so, "Summary" would be summary of the field, "My custom field" is the name of the custom field but what would "TEST" symbolize?
Summary would be the summary of the ticket. Because you are using the CSV importer, you are actually creating tickets (they can all be deleted afterwards).
Here's an example:
Let's say I have a custom field of type select list called "Color" and I wanted 10 different options in there, I would create a CSV like this.
Summary,Color //THIS IS YOUR HEADER ROW OF THE CSV//
Test,Blue
Test,Green
Test,Red
Test,Yellow
Test,Black
Test,White
Test,Magenta
Test,Violet
Test,Gray
Test,Purple
The CSV file I defined will create 10 new tickets on import. But if I map my column "Color" to the custom field "Color" I have during the import process, JIRA will create each item I've placed in there as a new option if it doesn't exist. You will have now 10 tickets, and 10 new options in the "Color" custom field.
You can now delete the 10 tickets you created, and you will have 10 new custom field options. Obviously, you could extend this to import 1000 values if you wanted. I have personally used this method to import hundreds of options at once.
Jira documentation says to do it like this
Your CSV file can contain multiple entries for the one Multi Select Custom Field. For example:
Summary,Multi Select,Multi Select,Multi Select Sample issue,Value 1,Value 2,Value 3
This will populate the Multi Select Custom Field with multiple values.
but I started out by trying it the way you are describing Kian and I'm not getting anywhere.
I've got a few giant lists to add either during or before a large import on a project i've been assigned.
Is there special permissions I need for this to work?
When I try to do this, I get the following error:
The value [ {null=Test 2} ] can't be added to the Custom Field [ Test-Options ]. The value [ {null=Test 2} ] can't be found or is in the incorrect format
I am a full admin. CSV file is extremely simple, just the summary and the custom field with the correlating option. Does this no longer work?
I have the same issue
Same issue/error here. Has anyone found a solution?
Any updates on this? I get the same issue here and cannot use the solution described above.
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.