I'm trying to figure out the best way to cleanup the Done column for my team using an Agility board.
We have a pretty sizeable stack of issues building up in our Done column and need to figure out how to clear it out in some way.
This may be related to my other question about how to set resolution: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Agility-questions/Is-it-possible-to-set-resolution-with-a-column-rule/qaq-p/852622
Although I'd prefer a way to manually clear the column (we can do it during sprint retrospective or planning). Or the ability for issues to fade out of that column after a week or so.
Any way to do this that I'm just not finding yet?
Aaron
Hi all,
I'm pleased to announce that the manual board clearing feature is generally available to everyone!
See our community announcement here: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Next-gen-articles/Introducing-manual-board-clearing-for-your-next-gen-Kanban-board/ba-p/1411958
Looking forward to hearing more about how you're using this feature!
Regards,
Ivan Teong
Product Manager, Jira Software
Update on this issue Dec/16/2019 :
All the interview slots have now closed. Hope I can come back with some good news soon!
Update on this issue Dec/13/2019 :
Hi everyone, my apologies for the delay in updating you guys on this issue. I've been busy shipping new features to the roadmap.
In the meantime, our team has been busy working on solving this problem for you. As a matter of fact, we're trying to solve this more holistically across board, backlog, and roadmap. We've got some prototypes in place and we'd love to get your input.
If you're interested, please find some time here. As a thank you for your time, we'll provide $100 giftcard. We'll only be taking 3 participants by next Wednesday, so sign up!
Hi @Aaron Boushley
Agility project is set up to automatically remove issues in the last column every 14 days to help teams manage completed work. You can search for removed issues by simply clicking "Looking for older issue?" button at the bottom of your last column.
We are also looking into how we can give manual controls to users. If you'd like to give your input, please follow this link to set up some time with us. We'd love to hear from you.
Cheers,
Erika Sa
Atlassian product manager
Is this documented somewhere? I was trying to figure this out, and having it be clear when things are on the board seems like a pretty important quality.
Also, the link you provided doesn't work
"The page you are looking for could not be foundPlease make sure that you've typed in the URL correctly"
I agree with @Aaron Boushley, I have never seen that documented, and I would prefer to set my own rule as to when it should be removed from _Done_, even if this is a manual step.
I think this will be the dealbreaker for not using a next-gen project - apart from the difficult Epic use (can't add any children tasks easily) and the slower loading UI.
Any update on this? Not being able to remove done items is going to have a move away from NextGen projects.
We actually bit the bullet and enabled Sprints though we don't use them for that specific team (it's a business team, not a dev team). The slowness is still there though
Is there an update on this anyone from the next gen team? We are kicking things off with our next gen project and are importing from our old boards. It is very cluttered and doesn't help that there is no control for users to decide when _they_ want their DONE column cleared.
Why should a fixed algorithm set by the system decide that? Kind of goes against the teams' autonomy in Agile to clear/change their boards.
So would be amazing to see this feature in play. Hope someone has an idea re timing for this.
Ta.
Victoria
Really shameful. It's now May 2019 and you still don't have a basic JQL filtering. This would take all of a day for atlassian to implement considering you already have the JQL language notation and mappings to the new internals of next-jen. This is honestly an egg on JIRA's face and I'm sick of having to constantly explain features away as "coming soon". Seems users are stuck in either an unwieldy but useful JIRA classic, or a more intuitive but nearly unusable next-gen. Next-gen is nearly unusable and an embarrassment for such a large and resourceful company. Maybe spend less time on Trello and more time on one of your core tools.
Hi,
Any update on this?
We have moved to the Next-Gen Projects and want to use Kanban, however due to an increasingly large Done pile we are going to have to transition to Sprints so that when we mark as 'Complete' the Done items disappear.
We would prefer to work Kanban but this limitation is preventing us from doing so.
Thanks,
Thomas
Hi guys,Reading the thread, I can see that @Erika Sa published in November 12th, 2019:
"We've been working hard on prioritising feature that'd provide the most value to majority of the users, and this sits on the near-term roadmap. It will be coming in a few months. We will keep you updated on this."
It's been 7 months since and it is still not there.
I am considering now moving back to another solution.
I totally agree with you.
I've been very happy using Trello (for free) but it's limited in terms of grouping by Epic, Creating links between issues, etc.
I am not going to use classic Jira for sure. The limitation of next-gen Jira are way too many.
Any other solution to recommend for Kanban? @Asher Snyder
A real shame I can say.
I'm losing all credibility with my customers just because of this.
I can't understand why there is still no news from Atlassian about this - not to mention other key features that are missing and that users are desperately requesting (like editing the notification scheme).
I'm afraid I'll have to spend hours to migrate and fall back to the old project template.
Just arrrgh.
I was in love with your products and your company. Seems the Trello thing made you forget your fundamentals.
Hi, I am just moving to this next-generation project. Probably I should turn around to classic projects because I don't want to have my "done" Column crowded with past issues. Atlassian, is that right?
You mean November 12th 2018?I'm currently reading this in Jun 17, 2019 and the date you wrote is in the future But you're right, what's up with this? Seems super critical and it takes them a year to deliver?
@Yassine Belmamoun yes, I real like https://www.targetprocess.com. One of the easiest and most flexible alternatives to JIRA I've found. They even started to integrate into JIRA so you can mirror/group JIRA data sources better, but it's completely unnecessary and is solid on its own.Allows for multiple boards/views of the same data, as well as allows for individual views, central views, custom cards, card sizes, groupings, workflows, etc. Unfortunately for many companies moving away from Atlassian is too much or too risky, so I tend to use it personally or for smaller projects/companies, but if I could I would use it for everything.
It's extremely frustrating that this still hasn't been implemented (especially because it's one on a long list of next-gen features that I'd have expected to be done long ago). Atlassian seems to have dramatically under-allocated dev resources to this project, considering how gung-ho they've been about encouraging users to convert. I was the Jira champion at my organization when we migrated from Pivotal about 9 months ago, but if I could go back in time, I think we'd have chosen a competitor instead.
Jira, can you please respond here. We can't use the Next Gen projects if done items are never removed. This seems pretty basic?
I'm not an Atlassian rep, but just to clarify -- in next-gen projects, issues in the Done column get hidden after 14 days in that column. The hidden issues can still be found in several ways (e.g., searching for issues), but they don't clutter up the board.
This probably works well for slow-moving projects, but it means that our team often has 10 issues in To Do, 5 issues in In Progress, 5 issues in RFR, and 110 issues in Done
As Casi said, Issues in the Done column will have a green tick and will be archived after 14 days. Not ideal but at least it stops the board getting too big.
I think the core of the frustration around this is that it takes teams varying lengths of time to make a board "too big." In 14 days, our Next-Gen board definitely gets too big for us. For a different team that works on a different product, 14 days might be optimal. A lot of teams on sprints are on two-week sprints, so maybe that's why Atlassian decided to go with that 14-day clear window. But a lot of people aren't on two-week sprints.
Based on the lack of response, I'm getting the feeling that Atlassian designed next-gen for a specific type team and a specific type of product. Too bad that my team and our product doesn't fit in that box. I like the other features in Next-Gen a lot, but I'll probably switch us back to Classic.
Yes it would be helpful to have control over this on next gen boards. I feel like next gen boards are geared towards small teams with minimal requirements and workload. At a certain point when more advanced functionality is required it is expected that teams will move on to advanced or traditional boards.
When my manager asks me for more features like this I tell him that yes it is possible but we will need to migrate to traditional boards. As you can imagine 100% of the time this means the feature request is dropped as it is too much work.
I'm afraid that judging by the lack of replies here, the Next-gen project is ditched.
Wow just found this, switching back to non-next gen project. Found this link in case it's helpful for someone else: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Software-questions/How-to-convert-quot-next-gen-quot-project-to-quot-classic-quot/qaq-p/933703
By accident exactly one year after the last official reply. I have the same issue.
It seems no one cares. I have to use sprint board then. An annoying workaround for such a minor but deal breaking design flaw.
Makes me really cautious and rethink how much I will rely my workflow on a product with such a problem to react to easy fixable user needs...
What the hell is going on? why is this so hard to add this feature?!
It's really shameful Atlassian!
I work with several companies that uses Jira next-gen projects and *always* there is a list of DONE issues that no one want to see not on the board nor the backlog.
The 14 days is the worst solution you think of ever.
Just fix it already.
I also have to say that this is an issue for us. Tho the we only have one project we start with a next-gen board, the simple fact that I can not just "release" the issues from the done column, which is possible in a normal kanban board, is starting to become an issue for us as the board starts to clutter.
Thinking about moving back to a normal board as I do not see any benefits currently on next-gen.
The next-gen has the Roadmap feature that is so missing for us in the old version of projects. But we can't move to next-gen project because of this issue thread..
Just want to continue to nudge this along. This really needs to be fixed.
This is insane!tons of complaints, endless 'Done' column in board view, hundreds of items in backlog and no official response from Atlassian for over a year now.Maybe they are using next-gen project internally for developing next-gen and cant find the issue for this feature because Done issues are NOT being removed :{
Hi Ted, my apologies for the delay in updating you guys on this issue. I've been busy shipping new features to the roadmap.
If you're interested, please find some time here . As a thank you for your time, we'll provide $100 giftcard. We'll only be taking 3 participants by next Wednesday, so sign up!
Update : interview slots have now filled up and closed.
Hi Hanan, my apologies for the delay in updating you guys on this issue. I've been busy shipping new features to the roadmap, some exciting news to be shared next Tuesday!
Hi Matt, my apologies for the delay in updating you guys on this issue. I've been busy shipping new features to the roadmap, some exciting news to be shared next Tuesday!
Hi Shmulik, my apologies for the delay in updating you guys on this issue. I've been busy shipping new features to the roadmap.
Will this work for Jira "Classic business" boards as well? How soon does it roll out? My boards are filling up fast ...
Any update on this? It's being a long time since this issue is originally posted. There's no way to clear up the DONE issues from the list still. Please suggest if any workaround is there.
Hey there - we also have problems with the done column - the issues we migrated from the kanban board are not disappearing so we cannot really track what is done. We usually are using the column for sprint reviews to show our CEO the results of the last weeks. Is there any update?
@Aaron Boushley Can you please remove the "Answer Accepted" of Attalasian support comment? I think it will make them to refer this issue more quickly. We all waiting more than 2 years for a real solution.
Thanks for giving us feedback about this. We are currently working on designing the right solution to help you manage your board!
Would you be available to have a chat with us for 1 hour next week between 27th February - 3rd March (AEST time)?
As a thank you for your time, we will send through an e-gift voucher after the session.
If you're keen, please refer to the below calendly link.
https://calendly.com/iteong/jira-software-next-gen?month=2020-02
Please remember to:
Change your timezone in the bottom of Calendly and sync your calendar when you book a time.
Answer the screener questions so we have a brief profile of you.
Be ready to share your screen through Zoom when we chat.
While we're okay with the auto archiving after a time period, I think we should:1. be able to determine that period ourselves.2. more importantly: manually archive/unarchive stuff.
This currently is a pain while only having 39 issues in done and this already takes to scroll forever.
Unfortunately, Atlassian doesn't care about this issue, maybe because this thread marked as "solved" and no one from Atlassian would ever bother to get into it and take a look.
I would like to +1 this. Being able to adjust the age off time myself would be helpful. Even better would be a button to do it. Even though my team works Kanban we still hold a retro every 2 weeks. It would help so much if we could see what was done in the past 2 weeks and just be able to purge the old tickets during meeting.
I developed a Chrome extension that adds a button to toggle "done issues" in the backlog page. Please tell me if you want this feature in others pages.
You can download the extension from here: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/pebibcpnlejpoannidlmfhbfhgjbhpoi/publish-accepted?authuser=0&hl=en
Have a nice and healthy day
Thanks for your effort, but working in security, I CANNOT simply install a plugin and pray for your good intentions.
I hope Atlassian does its work and provide us with a GOOD AND SOON SOLUTION on this matter.
As of now, I've done this:
Go to, Board Settings -> Quick Filters
Then, Name field= Only See Done >4W
Then, JQL field= project = IVM AND status not in (done, closed) OR project = IVM AND status in (done, closed) AND updated >= -4W ORDER BY Rank ASC
Then, Add.
Go back to your Kanban Board, aside the pictures of your team, there will be 'quick filters', click on that and then click on "Only See Done >4W".
So if you have a meeting, you show only the necessary. Remember that you can substitute 4W, by more or less = 1W.
Hi Ilana,
There is no security issue, it's an open-source extension you can see the code in here: https://github.com/hanrok/jiraDone if you are still afraid you can just download the code and install it yourself.
In addition, this all post is talking about next-gen project which you cannot just add filters, especially to the backlog page (or I didn't find the way to do it) so I did a quick and dirty job to make it happen.
This is an awesome temporarily solution! I hust thought today about that issue and boom you are alive saver. Thank you!
Dueto this not being solved, we started migrating away from Atlassian alltogether. All the platforms, be it confluence, nex-gen boards or the helpdesk are are laggy, expensive, annoying and missing the most basic features while providing much too many high level management-bs-tools, smaller teams (and lets be honest: bigger teams too) don't need.
This was a classical "nail in the coffin" situation, that started by moving away from markdown.
```because this isn't a tool for devs anymore, but another bloated bureaucracy-monster```
Hi Kevin,
My team is working on the ability to manually clear issues from the DONE column right now. Hang in there as we will be shipping this functionality soon!
Ivan
I thought I got around this by creating releases, putting issues into the release and then releasing them.
Nope.
This is REALLY REALLY annoying.
I'm all for "release early" and "ship to learn" etc but I feel like that kinda LEAN thinking is better for startups and early stage companies. You shouldn't roll out half baked stuff when you have millions and millions of users who are paying a fortune to use your software.
@Mick C I developed a Chrome extension that adds a button to toggle "done issues" in the backlog page. Please tell me if you want this feature in others pages.
This is an open-source extension you can see the code in here: https://github.com/hanrok/jiraDone
The extension is working only in the backlog page but if you want you can create a PR that will do the same in the board page.
This is really not a complicated request, low cost and high return. The problem pretty much makes the whole product unusable at some stage and yet the fix is so easy. Really makes you wonder how product management are prioritising their work.
it's marked as "resolved" so Atlassian doesn't care about it. Need @Aaron Boushley to reopen the issue.
Hi Matt and Michael,
We have the feature ready for rollout to some customers for early access. If you want to be the first cohort of customers to get this feature, please register here: https://forms.gle/bv9HCdLbARfoXrLo6
Sincerely,
Hi @Elena Vladimirova
Hi @Mick C
Hi @Gayan Kalhara
You'd be pleased to know that we have the feature ready for rollout to some customers for early access. If you want to be the first cohort of customers to get this feature, please register here: https://forms.gle/bv9HCdLbARfoXrLo6
Hi @Shmulik Ahituv
Hi @Ted Henry
Hi @Danilo
Hi @Lukas Obermann
Hi @Thomas Norman
Hi @[deleted]@[deleted]
Hi @Yassine Belmamoun @Eli Goldberg
Hi @Asher Snyder
Hi @Frederic MEYER
Hi @Victoria Schiffer
Hi everyone!
You'd be pleased to know that we have the feature ready for rollout to some customers for early access.
If you want to be the first cohort of customers to get this feature, please register here: https://forms.gle/bv9HCdLbARfoXrLo6
Hi @Ivan Teong ,
Thank you.
I'd hate to sound ungrateful but unsurprisingly putting my email address into a Google Form seems to be quite different than actually receiving a useable solution?
When will this magical rollout occur exactly?
Best,
Felix
Hi @Felix Hüneburg
We are rolling out to early access customers next week. Register if you want to get to use it before everyone!
Alleluia
I recently had to move my whole project from 1 organisation to another which means that I also migrated all the tickets that have already been completed. Currently there are 500 tickets in the "done" column and its making the board super slow. Previously, tickets would disappear off the board after two weeks in the "done" column. This does not seem to be the case anymore. What can I do to get rid of all these old tickets.
Thanks!
Hi
If I clear them, will I still be able to view them some how?
I prefer them in an archive off screen. Possible?
Hallo, is there a way to create a rule to automate clearing on a schedule?
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.