We've adopted a more traditional Agile approch using the Scrum methodology.
We're now using JIRA Agile more closely to its original design (yeay!) but I can't figure out how to apply Subtask Tracking Time during sprint planning.
Our Agile Coach taught us:
Product Backlog Grooming... Apply story points as estimates.
Sprint Planning... break storing into tasks and apply Time Estimates (tracking), and use the Time vs Capacity to load a Sprint. Ultimately our Velocity will provide a better figure for predictive Sprint assignment, but we still plan a sprint using TIME on the tasks, not Story Points like we do during Backlog Grooming.
Great... I get it.
I set the board to Story Point Estimating, and Time Tracking. So far so good. Product Backlog Estimation is working.
During Sprint Planning we're creating subtasks, but in PLAN mode I can't assign the Time to the sub tasks? I can assign Remaining Time at the story level ("Parent"), but not at the subtask level... at least until I start the sprint and go into Work Mode.
This would make sense to me, except when I later add remaining time to the sub tasks, the expectation is that they would then ignore the Parent task (which was simply a starting point for sprint planning). Instead they are ADDING to the Parent amount... so my expectation of its behavior is not correct.
So maybe I'm missing something? Is there access to the SubTask Remaining Time field in the Plan Mode? What about the Edit Screen (I couldn't find it, and can't figure out which field I need to add to the screen)?
What am I missing? Is there a way to add time to sub tasks, or is there a behavior that I'm not grasping?
How am I supposed to do Sprint Planning, if I can't do Time Tracking Estimates as a starting point for my burndown?