Estimated Hours for subtask not getting reflected in greenhopper board but is made available in jira's time tracking section

Jayashree Shetty
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 16, 2013

This is a common query which most of them have but still the answer is not clear to me. I have a parent task say with 3 hours estimation and it has say 2 subtasks each of 2 hours. So the total estimated hours is reflected as 7 hours in the JIRA's time tracking section. But if this same data needs to be reflected in the scrum board for sprint activity then i get to see only 3 hours alloted for the parent task where is the rest of the 4 hours gone. Both JIRA and greenhopper show different statistics.

7 answers

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

11 votes
Mark Craig January 15, 2016

Is it just me, or is it ridiculous that the estimate for sub-tasks is not reflected in the parent???

Seems like time management 101 to me.

David Hinson January 16, 2016

Yes it is ridiculous and also maddening. 

Sebastian Buckpesch December 6, 2016

We are still having the same problem. Still not fixed in JIRA 7.2.5 sad 

As sub-tasks are not shown in my backlog, I cannot even see what's the estimated time to handle the sprint... That's a big planing problem, and does not seem to be a great deal for Atlassian to fix...

6 votes
Marius George October 28, 2014

The simplest work-around I could find was to use "Story Points" mode for estimation, and then manually enter N story points to match the man-days value shown in the Remaining field, which is a total of parent + sub-task estimates. So by pretending that Story Points are actually man-days, every works fine.

I really hope they fix this issue soon - there are so many threads asking for sub-task estimates to be included with the parent estimate in planning mode, yet Atlassian appears to think there is no problem, and this is baffling to me.

3 votes
Teck-En
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 16, 2013

The former JIRA Agile(formerly known as Greenhopper) product manager had a really great blog regarding estimation of subtask over at: http://blogs.atlassian.com/2012/09/agile-qa-greenhopper-time-estimates-with-sub-tasks/

If you want the total estimation to show in the plan mode of the mode, you can configured the estimation statistic in the scrum board configuration to Original Time Estimate which it will show the estimate time in the sprint marker.

Tal Rotem March 19, 2014

Hi TeckEn,

Although the blog is interesting, we still feel very limited by not having subtasks reflected in the plan mode lines.

You said that

If you want the total estimation to show in the plan mode of the mode, you can configured the estimation statistic in the scrum board configuration to Original Time Estimate which it will show the estimate time in the sprint marker.

But this is not the actual case in Jira 6.2 for "plan Mode" lines. If We leave the story "original Estimate" empty, the sub-tasks estimations are not reflected in the circled "estimation". if we fill in the original estimate, it is shown as is without the sub tasks. so all in all, we miss the accumulation of sub tasks' estimations in the plan mode of the scrum board. any solution for it?

Sarah Prouse April 29, 2014

I also have the same problem. This was not an issue in previous versions of JIRA and was used successfully as per the blog however now it appears that the Scrum Board are not useful in any way. We now are reverting the the unsupported Classic mode.

We are using v6.1.1#6155-sha1:7188aee.

2 votes
Nick P August 21, 2017

Has this ever been solved?

Max Cascone March 19, 2018

Doesn't look like it. I found this thread trying to figure this out in Cloud.

Jira tends to make the most obvious functionality next to impossible. It's usually based on an obscure use case or rule that they insist must be supported, even when it's clear that the user community disagrees.

1 vote
Dobroslawa Wierzbicka
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 29, 2014

At the moment, no workaround for the default configuration is available. You can vote for the related feature request, though: GHS-9167.

0 votes
InfoHelp June 3, 2015

I'm having the same issue now. My team is finally figuring out how to best organize our work, but this is blocking us from easily seeing how the sprint is sized. I can maybe run a separate report and use that to figure things out, but that's more work to do and breaks the awesome drag-n-drop experience of putting a sprint together on the planning board. When will this be fixed? 

0 votes
Pawel Marzec April 23, 2014

I have got the same problem and I would be grateful for answer. Meanwhile, I keep on goggling.

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question