Hey there Atlassian Community!
I'm working on moving a project from Teamwork to JIRA and had after reformatting my tasks into the Workstream / Story / Subtasks hierarchy, I keep getting an error message at the validation stage for the import tasks with CSV process. I reviewed this Knowledge Article: https://support.atlassian.com/jira/kb/keep-issue-parent-child-mapping-during-csv-import-to-jira-cloud/ but and reformated my doc with an Issue ID and Parent using a numerical ID. Its still getting the same error messages.
Any thoughts on my formatting or other settings to try out?
Hi @CTabeson
Are you using a company managed project?
If you're importing into a company-managed project, the CSV importer's "Parent" column only works for Sub-task to Story/Task relationships. The Epic-to-Story relationship needs to go through a separate "Epic Link" or "Epic Name" column instead.
Issue ID, Issue Type, Summary, Parent, Epic Name, Epic Link
1, Epic, 4348 - November 3..., (blank), MyEpicName, (blank)
2, Story, EPOLLBOOK SETUP, (blank), (blank), MyEpicName
3, Sub-task, [OPERATIONAL TASKS]..., 2, (blank), (blank)
In the CSV I see Epic and Subtasks.
Is the Epic the parent and thie Subtasks the child?
Normally, a subtasks cannot have an EPIC parent. Check your hierarchy
/jira/settings/issues/issue-hierarchy
Or create a test Epic, click on child work items. If you dont see the subtasks, you cannot have it as a child of an Epic.
Regards
From my experience, the Parent needs to be the Parent ID, eg VETL-1 not just "1".
I've also had issues uploading everything at once, and resorted to uploaded as epics, task level items, then subbies as separate CSV, updating parent IDs as I go.
It's the only way it's consistently worked for me. Sometimes it's very manual and painful to map, but it's so much easier when it works.
(Fully accept there's probably better ways to do this. I learned via the deep end method and haven't found another way..... yet.)
Hello @CTabeson ,
I have a regular activity of uploading a csv into a Jira space. Initially I find the similar kind of challenges.
I have split the CSV into 3 different files (1 issue type --> 1 csv)
it worked by mapping the fields as per my requirements (example parent to Parent ID).
Hope this steps would help.
Thanks.
Hello @CTabeson
I don't see any error from your csv . Subtask is child of Story and story is child of Epic Can you show me your mapping before upload ?Issue ID need to be map with Work Id
Parent need to be map with Parent
Hi @CTabeson,
My guess is the user error at the top of your validation list is the one holding everything up. That assignee looks to be on your Epic row, and while that error stands the Epic won't be created, which leaves every Story pointing at it, and every subtask under those, with no parent to attach to. That would be enough to take the whole file to zero. I'd clear the cell or add a valid email for that user in the user mapping step, then re-validate before changing anything else.
If parent errors still come back after that, the next thing I'd look at is which of your two ID columns the importer picked up. You have the VETL-x keys and the plain 1, 2, 3 numbers, and Parent references the numbers, so Work item ID needs to be mapped to that numeric column, with the VETL one left unmapped. Plain numbers are right, for what it's worth: Atlassian describes Parent as the work item ID of the parent row in the same file, not an existing Jira key.
If you'd rather not re-run the whole file, another option is to import flat, leaving Work item ID and Parent unmapped, then set the hierarchy afterwards. If you're open to solutions from the Atlassian Marketplace, JXL for Jira, an app my team and I work on, treats Parent as an editable column, so you could set the parent across a whole batch of rows at once, or paste all 148 values straight in from your spreadsheet.
Hope that gets the import through, Martin
The first thing to check is the order and values of the IDs. Jira needs the parent issue to be imported and mapped before the child can reference it. Make sure every Parent value exactly matches the corresponding Issue ID in the CSV, and that you’re using the CSV column mapping for Jiras parent field rather than treating it as a normal custom field.
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.