I'm experiencing what appears to be a regression with the new Create work item automation action after the Epic Link → Parent migration.
My use case
I have a scheduled Automation rule that creates multiple Task work items. Each Task should be created under a specific, existing Epic (for example, GMR-155).
This automation worked before July. The issues only started after the recent Epic Link → Parent changes in Jira Cloud.
What I'm seeing
When configuring the Create work item action:
- The Parent field does not allow me to select an issue like the Epic field. (Epic field is now blocking automated tickets from being created.)
- Instead, the Parent field only allows selecting:
- Work item
- Trigger work item
- I've also tested using the Parent Field by simply typing in GMR-155, and that did not work.
Because this is a Scheduled rule, there is no trigger work item, so neither option is usable.
Additional testing
I've tried several approaches:
- Creating the Task without a Parent → Works successfully
- Setting the Parent field → Fails
- Using the legacy Epic Link field instead → Also fails
- Adding a branch to edit the created Work Item to add the Epic or Parent. → Both options fail.
- Using Additional Fields JSON:
<span>{
"fields": {
"parent": {
"key": </span><span>"GMR-155"</span><span> }
}
}</span>→ Also fails.
The Epic exists, is in the same project, and the created issue type is a standard Task, so the hierarchy is valid (Epic → Task).
I've also recreated the Create work item action from scratch to rule out a corrupted automation configuration, but the behavior is the same.
Why I think this may be a regression
From what I can tell:
- Removing Parent/Epic Link allows the automation to complete successfully.
- Adding either Parent or Epic Link causes the Create action to fail.
- The Parent UI no longer behaves like the previous Epic picker and appears to only support automation-context work items.
Questions
- Is anyone else seeing this behavior with the new Create work item action?
- Has the expected configuration changed following the Epic Link → Parent migration?
I found this previous Community thread, but the accepted solution does not appear to resolve the issue anymore in my Jira Cloud instance, so I'm wondering if there has been a recent regression or behavior change since that discussion.
https://community.atlassian.com/forums/Jira-questions/Automation-Unable-to-add-Parent-to-created-issue/qaq-p/3017814