Hi,
I have a service account (sa-cio-fallout-mgmt-tool-94t9zfo16r@serviceaccount.atlassian.com)
that I've provisioned via the Atlassian API token request process for automation workflows.
The service account has been added as a member to the "OF" project in our Jira Cloud instance
(telus-cio.atlassian.net), and it has the following scopes granted:
- read:jira-user
- read:jira-work
- write:jira-work
However, when the service account attempts to search for issues via the REST API using JQL queries
like "project = OF AND summary ~ billing", it returns 0 results, even though the same query
returns 336+ results when I (a regular user) run it in Jira.
I've confirmed:
✓ The service account is added to the OF project members
✓ The API authentication is working (no 401/403 errors)
✓ The JQL query is valid (works for regular users)
✓ The API endpoint is accessible
Based on Jira documentation, I understand that "Jira permissions also control access to data
and aren't overridden by scopes." This suggests the service account may lack the "Browse projects"
permission at the project level.
**Questions:**
1. Does the service account need a specific project role (Developer, Viewer, etc.) to read issues via API?
2. What is the minimum permission level needed for a service account to search and read issues
in a project via REST API?
3. Should I request that the service account be assigned a higher role in the OF project?
Any guidance would be appreciated!
Thank you.