I am not posting a lot of screen shots or other visuals, because I felt this is a pretty straightforward question that has nothing to do with workflows or the like. Please let me know if I'm mistaken after reading, always willing to admit I was wrong 
I have the following fields:
- Index - number field (custom field 11195)
- Approvals needed - text field that contains a comma separated list (custom field 11163)
I have an automation rule that updates the Index field, incrementing it by 1 as issues are transitioned from one approval step to the next. That is working just fine.
The problem is occurring when I try to access a value in the text field via an index number. I have tried creating a variable called Index:
{{issue.customfield_11195.asNumber.round}}
to ensure that the value is an integer and not a decimal, etc. I then was trying to use that variable like so:
{{issue.customfield_11163.split(",").get(Index).trim}}
to access the value at the correct index position.
I have tried tweaking the statement in multiple way. My overarching question is:
Is it possible to use the .get(n) statement with a variable being the value of n?