I have an Automation that creates multiple new issues in sequence (Create Issue 1, branch: Edit. Create Issue 2, branch: Edit. Create Issue 3, branch: Edit.). I'm trying to get Issues 2, 3, and beyond to link to Issue 1 that is created in the automation. I've tried the built in Link work items for most recently created work item, but that does not work no matter where I put it.
Now, I am trying to create a Variable for the first Issue, and then Link to that Variable in issues 2, 3 and beyond. The audit log shows the variable is created, but then on the link step is showing "Unable to link work items. At least one of 'id' or 'key' is required to identify an issue", like it's not recognizing the created variable.
Everything else in the automation is working perfectly. I've also tried Smart values for the variable of "{{issue.key}}" under the 'most recently created work item' branch of Issue 1, and that did not work.
Any idea how I can accomplish this, or what I'm doing wrong?


