Hello,
I have come across with this issue recently, and I think it was working beforehead. I am using "Build status changed" and "Commit created" triggers for my automations, and none of them are seeing the commits that don't start with ticket number (like ASX-123). I am using Bitbucket, but I cannot detect the merge commits since they start with "Merged" and the ticket name is hidden in branch name (like feature/abc-ASX-123-feature). I want to access the builds and commits regardless of the ticket number being detected, or I am open for workarounds.
Since you already know, merged commits are written automatically by Bitbucket. I don't want to update the commit with a ticket name everytime. I hope there is an alternative way to handle this issue.
Additionally, when I start my automation triggers with a DevOps trigger, for some reason it doesn't see the other DevOps smart values as usable: 
As you can see on the attached picture, even my trigger is "Commit Created", the commit smart values are shown to be inside "Other values" , not "Compatible Values". I would like this to be investigated too, if you don't mind.
Thank you for your assistance, will be waiting for an answer.
Sena Türkü Cakmak