Hi everyone,
I'm stuck trying to update an "Assets Objects" custom field using Global Automation (Jira Cloud / JSM / Assets) and hoping someone has seen this before.
What I want: When my automation creates a Purchase Order object in Assets (e.g., AST-2700), I want it to link the original Jira issue (e.g., PO-25) back to that new Assets object using a custom field ("Related Purchase Order", ID customfield_XXXXX).
What I'm doing: My rule creates the PO, looks it up, saves the key (AST-2700) into a variable {{purchaseOrderObjectKey}} (I've confirmed this works with logging). Then, I use the Edit issue action with this Advanced JSON:
{
"fields": {
"customfield_XXXXX: [
{ "key": "{{purchaseOrderObjectKey}}" }
]
}
}
The Problem: The automation audit log shows the Edit issue step succeeding ("Issues edited successfully"). BUT, when I look at the Jira issue (PO-25), the "Related Purchase Order" field is still empty! The update just doesn't "stick".
What I've Checked:
The variable {{purchaseOrderObjectKey}} definitely has the right Assets key right before the Edit issue step.
Manual editing of the "Related Purchase Order" field on the issue works perfectly (so the field/AQL config seems fine).
The rule actor is set to Automation for Jira.
I've tried to ensure the Automation for Jira actor has Assets View permissions for the Purchase Order object type via Assets Roles (added Automation for Jira to a relevant role). I think this is correct, but maybe I missed something?
I have also set it as actor ME (admin)
My Question: Why would Edit issue report success but not actually update the field? Has anyone run into this silent failure with Assets fields? Any ideas what else to check, especially if the permissions seem okay? Thanks so much for any help!
Picture of Automation:
https://imgur.com/a/aNMSMwu