I'm looking to run automation to replace a portion of my description with a custom field value
What I'm after is something like this:
There are certain fields we want people to update under certain circumstances, but we don't want them required for other reasons. So I've decided to put a note in the description. The list says all the fields to update. When the field has a value in it, I want the message replaced with the field value:
So by default the description would be:
Due Date: Go to the due date field and set value
When field is set it:
Due Date: 2/6/25
The syntax is is:
{{issue.description.replace("date", issue.dueDate)}}
Automation is replacing "Go to the due date field and set value" with the field value
The error I'm getting back typically is something like this:
Unable to render smart values when executing this rule: Failed to get value for issue.description.replace("Go to the due date field and set value", issue.dueDate): {{issue.description.replace("Go to the due date field and set value", issue.dueDate)}}
I am new to Jira, so it's possible my syntax is wrong. Though I've tried a number of different ways. I've seen a few articles about this and it seems no one can get it to work.
I've also tried:
"issue.dueDate"
{{issue.dueDate}}
"{{issue.dueDate}}"