Hello @Kimberly Anderson ~ you first want to update your hierarchy so that Initiative is #1. Once you do that, you should be able to link Epics to Initiatives via the Parent field...
Once you fix the hierarchy, you should be able to see "Add Parent" option....
@Kimberly Anderson
Your issue type hierarchy is correct. Even though JIRA has given the flexibility to define custom hierarchy, the add button does not reflect that.
So, if you are creating an Epic and want to link it to Initiative, then when creating the Epic in the parent field specify the initiative key.
Then under initiative you will see Epics linked something like this
Parent Field in Epic VIS-3
Initiative View
In case I have not understood your ask, please feel free to revert with more details
Thanks for the info. I guess the issue I have is a Jira design flaw. Since Epic is the direct child of Initiative in my hierarchy, that is what should be shown as the option under the "+" menu. Same issue when looking at an Epic and the direct child is a Story. Story should be the option under the "+" menu.
From Epic, if you Click on + button (Child Issue), I see the standard issuetypes like Story, Task etc are available.
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.