Hi everyone,
I'm running into a puzzling issue with Jira Cloud automation. I want to set the assignee using a variable that contains the Atlassian account ID. If I hardcode the exact same account ID in my Advanced JSON—like this:
{ "fields": { "assignee": { "id": "5b10ac8d82e05b22cc7d4ef5" } } }
—it works perfectly, and the assignee is set without problems.
However, if I store that very same account ID in a variable (e.g., {{myUserId}}), and then reference it like:
{ "fields": { "assignee": { "id": "{{myUserId}}" } } }
--the rule fails with the error “Specify a valid value for assignee (assignee)”.
I’ve checked the following:
- The variable logs the correct account ID (confirmed via a Log Action).
- The user is active, has a Jira license, and has the “Assignable User” project permission.
- I’ve tried adding quotes, using
asJsonString, etc.
Nothing seems to fix the error unless I manually hardcode the ID. Has anyone experienced this or know what might be causing the difference when using a variable versus a direct value?
Thanks in advance for any insights!