I can find inserting issues and epics in the same file but I just want to link the new issues I'm inserting to the Epics that are already in my JIRA environment. Can anyone help?
Hi @Chris Gorgoroso ,
You can import new issues while linking them to existing Epics by including four additional columns in your CSV: Parent, Issue ID, Issue Key, and Issue Type.
Refer to the mapping in the provided screenshot. In the example, the first two rows correspond to issues that already exist in Jira. The existing Epic has been assigned a placeholder ID of 1. Stories and tasks in rows 3 and 4 are linked to this Epic by setting their Parent ID to 1.
1
You can now proceed with importing issues via CSV by mapping all the necessary fields. This will allow you to import new issues linked to the specified Epic. For more details, please refer to this guide.
Seems like I did the right thing here but I keep getting this:
@Chris Gorgoroso As highlighted in the knowledge base article here, the issue likely arises because either both issues (SNA-3 and SNA-84) belong to the same hierarchy level, or there’s an attempt to assign a Story as the parent of an Epic, which is not allowed.
Try exporting your issue details in a CSV file from the below JQL filter,
key in (SNA-3, SNA-84)
Don't forget to add the columns Issue Type, Issue Key, and Summary before exporting it in a CSV file. Here is an article on how to export your issues in a CSV file.
Then, update the exported file by adding placeholder values for the Issue ID and Parent columns as explained earlier. Once the changes are made, re-import the updated CSV file into Jira.
Akash, I appreciate your responses. Did you see the spreadsheet I provided in the images above? Does anything in that image suggest that they are in the same hierarchy?
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.