Hi everyone,
I’ve been working on an automation rule in Jira and could use some advice. My goal is to automatically update the status of a parent task to match the "earliest" status of its sub-tasks. By "earliest," I mean the sub-task status that comes first in the sprint's board (left to right).
For example:
- If all sub-tasks are in "Done" but one is in "To Do," the parent task should move to "To Do."
- If that sub-task is moved to "In Progress," the parent should update to "In Progress."
- Essentially, the parent's status should always align with the least-advanced status of its sub-tasks.
I've tried building this rule with Jira Automation, but I’m struggling to get it to work. I can't say exactly where am I struggling, because I tried so many options.
Has anyone implemented something similar? are you using any marketplace app that can help with it? If so i'd be glad to get some guidance here