The Jira Cloud documentation (at that link and in several other places) describes the Kanban backlog as being tied to issue status:
* In the "Columns and statuses" page for your board, there is a Backlog column.
* If you move statuses to the Backlog column, issues with those statuses will not appear on the board; instead, they will appear on the Backlog page.
After enabling the Kanban backlog for my project today, it doesn't seem to behave this way at all. Instead:
* There is no Backlog column on the "Columns and statuses" page.
* I have a separate Backlog page as shown in the docs, but it works differently. I have "Backlog" and "Board" sections instead of "Backlog" and "Ready for Development". Moving issues in and out of the backlog does not affect their status. Instead, it seems to just toggle whether they're visible on the Board or not.
* Moving issues in and out of the backlog doesn't even show up on the Activity for the issue - it just says I ranked it lower or higher, which seems to be talking about the position in the list in either "Backlog" or "Board".
I can't find any documentation that describes it working this way.
I also have no idea how to automate management of my backlog based on this - for example I'd love to automatically move tasks out of backlog and onto the board based on their due dates, but I don't see a property to modify on the issue to actually achieve that.
Can anyone help me figure this out?
EDIT: I played around with this a little more, and from what I can tell the difference appears to be in "Team-managed" versus "Company-managed" projects. My company-managed project behaves as described in the documentation. However, I still can't find any docs that describe how it's "supposed" to act as a team-managed project, or how to automate moving tasks out of the backlog. Do I just have to create a whole new project for that feature?