Hello all -
Wondering if anyone knows of a way to setup an automation to automatically add users to a Jira Group. I have a group setup for VIP users within Jira. I'd like to have an automation setup to add users to this group when they are added to a certain Distribution List. Does anyone know if this is possible?
Hi @Nand Patel
Is the distribution list you are referring to also managed in your Jira?
Generally speaking: Yes, it is possible to automatically add users to groups. You can find the logic for this here: https://developer.atlassian.com/cloud/admin/organization/add-user-to-group/However, I would actually recommend having this done via a connected Identity Provider.
Hi @Nand Patel ,
The approach with this would be by using REST API and POST method to add users to a group.
I don't have an actual example here (we did something similar though), but you could take a look at the following discussion and question replies: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/How-to-add-user-automatically-to-mentioned-group-in-Jira/qaq-p/2231082
Cheers,Tom
Hey @Nand Patel
@Tomislav Tobijas has the best solution if you’re comfortable with using the APIs.
Another possible solution is to use an app like Admin Automation to automatically add users to groups, though I’m not sure where/how you’re storing the distribution list.
-Kieren
Co-Founder @ Admin Automations | Ex-Atlassian
Welcome to community
Here you can set up a role and add default members to the role
When a new project is created, it will be assigned these 'default members' for the the project role. Note that 'default members' apply only when a project is created. Changing the 'default members' for a project role will not affect role membership for existing projects.
Thank You,
Prachi
Hi Tomislav,
Thank you for your reponse, I will try this and revert back.
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.