Hi,
I was given a task to investigate and improve our product list when allocating tickets. (So we have a standard set of products/Hardware that we have to choose before we can allocate the ticket, it is a mandatory drop down choice menu thing, see below under Product.
So this field/drop down is mandatory, you have to choose something in that list. However, it is not up to date and some of these we don't provide any more. I want to add some things and delete some things, but I am afraid it will have an effect on the existing tickets. What is the impact exactly?

I looked into screens and schemes in JIra settings, however it confuses me a little, I came to a point where I could see which screens show which menus and what projects are connected to it. However, I see the fields Organizations label and Products as optional....while it is impossible to allocate the ticket until you choose something - now i am confused.
Help greatly appreciated. I want to replace the whole product thing with a check box menu. I have it ready in the sandbox, just need to know for sure I won't break or screw up something irreversibly.