Hey Atlassian Community,
I'm new to Atlassian automation and still learning and I hope you can help me with a problem.
I have a project (Project X) which is used as inbox for multiple projects, ie. a request to Project X creates tickets/issues (of different types) in multiple other Projects.
Every ticket/issue is linked to the original Project X request/ticket as "depends on" outward dependency.
i.e. Project X, Issue 1 (X-1) creates:
- Project Y, Task 2 (Y-2)
- Project Z, bug-3 (Z-3)
- ...several other projects and issue types.
- all these are linked as following; X-1 depends on Y-2 and Z-3 (and others).
I want to be able to periodically inspect the status of Y-2 and Z-3 and move X-1 into a specific state based on their corresponding states, eg.
- if Y-2 OR Z-3 are IN PROGRESS then move X-1 to IN PROGRESS
- if Y-2 AND Z-3 are DONE then move X-1 to DONE
I DON'T want to have automation on all affected projects, since these are many and use different types of issues so maintainability will be horrible over time yet I need to do this automation on Project X level.
This is what I have right now:
- Timer Trigger with JQL query that check all issues in Project X that are in backlog. -> so I get X-1 (and other Project X issues in that state).
- Branch off for every issue above and go through their corresponding linked issues and their status values. -> I get Y-2 and Z-3 when I loop through X-1 linked issues.
- if one of these are in progress then DO SOMETHING to make sure trigger issue X-1 status is updated. -> I get the status of Y-2 and Z-3 but need help with DO SOMETHING part.
When in the fork/loop I can see that Y-2 and Z-3 are linked to X-1 (using
issue.issuelinks.inwardIssue.key) but I don't know how to change X-1 status.
I tried to:
- set issue.issuelinks.inwardIssue.key.status value -> but that's not how it works.
- create a smart variable in the main loop, eg. inProgress, and set it to false by default but then change the value in the inner loop to true in case of hit. -> that's not how it works. The smart values are locked to the context they run in.
- find an article or someone trying to do something similar but my google-fu is failing me.
Any ideas/suggestions? Is there any another, simpler, way to do this?
Adding flow directly here as a reference:


(5mins is just for now. When done, this will run on hourly cadence. Also, note that in the inner-loop I set inProgress only once. This is to avoid next issue overriding the value if I already have a hit)
thanks in advance!
Also, another question:
- is there a simple way to debug jira automations? Right now I use email action to notify myself of the different states and values in the automation
and yesterday I forgot to switch the automation off 4hrs and spammed myself with ~4000 emails since I set the timer to every 5min meanwhile writing the automation. There must be a better way to do this, or?