I have two situations that I've done a workaround for in Rules automation and want to see if anyone has a better solution.
- You're limited to 65 steps in an automation rule. In this case, I have created a custom field like "Action1_flag". Then, when I have used up most of my 65 steps, I set the Action1_flag field to 1 as the last thing I do in the rule. Then I have another rule called Action1 and it is run when the Action1_Flag field is modified. In that rule, I check and see if the Action1_Flag is set to 1 and if it is, I set it to 0 and then I perform the remainder of the steps that I didn't have room for in the initial rule where I set the Action1_Flag
- Sometimes I have steps that need to be done by multiple rules. An example are some complex calculations or something with a lot of steps and I don't want to have to repeat this in every rule where I need it as they may change and then I'd have to make the changes in all the rules. In this case, I do the same type of thing as described above. When I get to the point in the rule where I need those steps taken, I set a flag, maybe Action2_Flag in this case, and then the Action2 rule performs those steps. It's not exactly a subroutine as it doesn't return control, but it gets the job done.
Any thought on how to do this better or differently?