I received a request from a user to allow him to create issues with a specific table in the description as needed.
I was able to make a manual automation that generates a task and populates a table in the description field based on some markup.
This link is a great help for understanding what is possible: (https://jira.atlassian.com/secure/WikiRendererHelpAction.jspa?section=tables) However, there are some outdated details on that link such as how panels work, i.e. they don't really work because of the new UI for panels. Also, there are some edits that cannot be made via markup and require a rich text editor.
My biggest issue is that I cannot format the width of columns when generating them via markup, they are all spaced evenly and are set to take up the full width of the section on the issue view. In a table with three columns, each column would be 33% of the total width. I've tested editing tables in a description field via the issue view, then copying and pasting that into another issue and the table width is retained. So that got me thinking about having a rich text editor in Automation.
Does this exist? If so, I can't find it.
Even outside of a true rich text editor, there's no way to preview what your markup will produce without running the automation once. My colleague found a place in Jira that does have a preview button when adding markup that works very nicely, but I'm almost afraid to mention it for fear of Atlassian taking it away.
Am I missing a simple solution somewhere?