I have a predicament I was wondering if anyone had any creative solutions for.
I am trying to track when an issue takes longer than is what is specified in the Original Estimate field. If the issue takes long than the original estimate when transitioning to closed, I want the user to be able to enter in a field on the transition screen specifying why the issue took longer than estimated. It is important that it is on the transition screen, as I want the user to be able to enter before closing the issue, and not go back to it later when they might have forgotten why the issue took so long.
I know I can't conditionally show the screen on workflow transition, so my idea was to show to always show the screen, on it show how much time the issue took to complete versus the original estimate, and then a fill in field as to why the issue was delayed, which can be left blank if the issue took the estimated amount of time.
My problem is that I wrote an automation that can calculate time taken versus estimate and write it to a custom field, but I can't find a good way to trigger that automation before that screen is brought up. The workflow transition trigger only actuates after that screen is brought up. The only think I thought of that could work is to run this automation periodically on all issues that are in progress, but this feels clunky as there could be a hundred issues that are in progress and it will be interacting with them unnecessarily, as I only care about the in progress time once the issue is closed.
Does anyone have a good solution for this? Even something completely different that would achieve what I'm looking for in regards to tracking reason for delay would be welcome. I want to keep this within vanilla Jira and not have to use a plugin.
Your help is very much appreciated!
-Christian