I am trying to work out the hierarchy of Jira. I'm a newcomer to Jira but not to issue management tools in general. The concept of a project is clear and under projects we have releases which are also clear. Beyond this it gets messy however. I've watched hours of Youtube videos on Jira and read all the documentation but all I see are people using random methods to get to issues instead of an organised approach.
If I have issues in a release I cannot rank them to determine the work order (there's a priority section but that's very weak). Therefore to work around this, under "release" I'd have a "sprint". However several sprints don't seem to form a release. Instead, sprints are generated in a board, from the backlog and exist separately.
If I want to go an look at my sprints I have to (ironically) go into my backlog which only exists if I create a board. This begs the question "what is a board". Jira documentation has this to say: "A Jira project houses the collection of all issues that need to be completed to achieve a particular goal. A Jira board, on the other hand, is the tool used to manage those issues as they move from creation to completion". But isn't this a sprint?! If it isn't, what is a sprint? Why are sprints so loosely attached to releases?
Then there are Epics. Whilst Epics are useful, they again break the hierarchy. They can go outside of sprints or inside them. An Epic is also given an issue number so whilst it encompasses several issues, it is also an issue itself and this doesn't appear hierarchically, only as an icon in the issue list. Child issues to an Epic do not seem to inherit the properties of the parent.
Lots of videos and documentation will talk about these features but few go into the issues I am experiencing. I'd appreciate any tidbits about the Jira workflow that I'm missing because I'm stabbing in the dark at getting sprints and releases organised here. Getting the urge to go back to post-it notes!