I'm trying to unravel this layer cake of confusion, and I assume I'm not he first one to run into it.
I'm using Assets, so I also have Customer Assets that link to user accounts in the Atlassian Account directory.
We use Work Management Projects, Confluence, and a Service Desk currently. All company-managed.
I need to understand which Teams, Customers, Organizations, and User constructs I need to manage and care about, in which contexts, and all of their documentation are written as if they are the only thing with that name in existence.
There are at least four distinct "Team" constructs right now, depending on whether you've been "updated" recently, and a bunch of essentially duplicative yet separate Customers / Organizations / Users constructs that are sometimes integrated, sometimes not, and nothing global.
What is required and what can be cut? All of these constructs have no mature administrative management options either - everything is "add users one at a time by their email address!" like I want to sign up to do that for hundreds of accounts over five of these poorly thought-out and terribly integrated features. 
Can anyone make sense of this morass? Is there a guide I'm missing that sets up the options side-by-side and gives some sense of which you need and which work together for different use cases or something?
Help!