I have a team-managed project used by my operations staff to manage repetitive tasks.
- The project has only tasks and subtasks
- Every task has five subtasks
- The five subtasks that are created and attached to the parent are the same every time (e.g., assume that each of the five are named Subtask1, Subtask2, etc., so every task has a Subtask1, Subtask2, etc)
This project has two possible 'done' statuses, "Done" and "Closed". The deciding factor hinges on Subtask3- a task should only be allowed to transition to "Done" if Subtask3 is also "Done". If Subtask3 is any other status, and a user tries to transition the task to "Done", I want to instead transition it to "Closed" (or just prevent it from moving to "Done").
For context, we transition the parent to done manually. For some reason, some people on my staff continue to choose the wrong status. I realize this may not seem like a big deal, but many other things are happening (e.g., automation, reporting, etc) that depend on the parent being routed to Done or Closed correctly.
To summarize what I'm looking for:
WHEN: task is transitioned to DONE or CLOSED
IF the subtask named Subtask3 = DONE
THEN task is transitioned to DONE
ELSE task is transitioned to CLOSED
If the above isn't possible, then a rule to prevent a transition to DONE IF the subtask named Subtask3 is not DONE. Basically, the task would remain in the status it was in before a user tried to transition it to done.