NOTE: I'm not actually sure where this should go, so please move to an appropriate place if needed.
I don't think I'm alone here but the issues at jira.atlassian.com can feel like like a pretty hopeless place.
It's worth bearing in mind that each admin that votes could represent hundreds / thousands of agents and users who are impacted by the functionality gap. Still these represent a small proportion of users impacted. Many organisations just don't have the time or motivation to track > 100 ~5 year old issues on top of their day jobs.
Anyway, seeing a feature request gathering thousands of votes over 5-10 years with little or no update.... Is demoralising and justifiably makes the community (paying customers) feel ignored and unimportant.
Even a note to say that a feature "isn't being developed right now due to other priorities and will be reviewed again in X" is better than the deafening silence.
I'd like to propose a simple communication schedule to the 'Feature Policy' to set some expectations to the community around when they're likely to get an update.
- < 500 Votes (Issue Unassigned) - Nothing
- > 250 Votes (Issue Assigned) - Annual Update
- > 500 Votes (Issue Unassigned / Assigned) - Bi-Annual Update
- > 1000 Votes (Issue Unassigned / Assigned) - Quarterly Update
- > 5000 Votes (Issue Unassigned / Assigned) - Quarterly Update + Progress
I feel like this would be achievable and would start to rebuild some bridges with a community that regularly jokingly return to their favourite feature reqeust each year to laugh at the rage of the new customers finding it for the first time.
EXCLUSION: Everything I've seen assigned to Simon Herd has had some excellent community engagement! This could be looked to for good practice.
I think I feel a little better now... How do others feel about this? Is it something Atlassian can consider? How is it best to get this kind of change?
Dave