I have a couple automations in a JSM project that create a task and then add subtasks to that most recently created issue. I am receiving the following error:
Create subtasks
Some sub-tasks could not be created:
1: The issue type selected is invalid. (issuetype), Issues with this Issue Type must be created in the same project as the parent. (project), 2: The issue type selected is invalid. (issuetype), Issues with this Issue Type must be created in the same project as the parent. (project), 3: The issue type selected is invalid. (issuetype), Issues with this Issue Type must be created in the same project as the parent. (project), 4: The issue type selected is invalid. (issuetype), Issues with this Issue Type must be created in the same project as the parent. (project), 5: The issue type selected is invalid. (issuetype), Issues with this Issue Type must be created in the same project as the parent. (project), 6: The issue type selected is invalid. (issuetype), Issues with this Issue Type must be created in the same project as the parent. (project)
Here is the automation example:
Hi @Amelia Giuliani ,
from your screenshots and explanations, everything looks ok. Could you please add a screenshot of the audit log of the rule and the sub task part?
I would like to reproduce this.
Hi @Amelia Giuliani
I'm not use to the Cloud version but does it failes every time ? Does it create 1 subtask then failed ?
I wonder if the newly created issue is not the first sub-task created ?
Regards
I'm a little confused why your automation says "Create 6 sub-tasks".
It should be listed as individual Sub-tasks. I'm not sure if this is an issue between Standard vs Premium.
@Suzi Firth thats actually normal if you do not enter additional field values for the sub tasks.
@Amelia Giuliani -
I agreed with what @Kai Becker stated, we will need more information on your "subtask creation" section you used in your automation rule configuration.
Once we obtained more details from you, then we can assist you further.
One common mistake that people do is what they used in the "Parent issue" parameter when creating sub-task (example image below). It will be excellent that if you can provide us what you have in your rule configuration -
Best, Joseph Chung Yin
Jira/JSM Functional Lead, Global Technology Applications Team
Viasat Inc.
Here is the audit log:
It is creating the main task so I know that up to that point it's ok.
@Joseph Chung Yin @Kai Becker I'm on the cloud version, so I think mine might look different. Here is what sub-task creation looks like:
The branching rule for most recently created issue typically has worked to link the sub-tasks to the created task similar to how yours works in your screenshot.
It doesn't full fail. It creates the main task before the branching rule but then fails for all the sub-tasks
@Kai Becker oh that's interesting. I see the difference now.
You chose the "Create Sub-tasks" action where as I had used "Create Issue" action and then selected "Sub-task" in the Issue type drop down.
Two ways of achieving the same thing.
I would suggest that you maybe raise a support case. Failing that, in the project where you're trying to create them, what are the sub task types? Have they changed at all?
I'm having this exact same issue. I have an automation rule that creates an issue on the first of each month (CRON schedule). After the issue is created, I'm using the branch "for most recently created issue" with the action "Create sub-tasks" and it fails in the same way.
This is a rule that worked just fine on Server, but after migrating to cloud this week it is no longer working.
@Joseph Chung Yin
{{createdIssue}} in the Parent Issue box only works for the first subtask for me if they are separated out into subtasks with extra fields. When I try to do createdIssue it will throw an error for the next subtask in the branch since it tries to create that 2nd subtask as a subtask under the first subtask and that is not possible.
@Ben Walker -
Can you provide details of your automation rule, so I can troubleshoot your issue further?
Best, Joseph
I forgot to reply to this earlier but I fixed it in my instance by simply deleting the "Create sub-tasks" action and re-creating it. In my case these were all automations that were exported from Jira Server and imported into Jira Cloud.
My guess is this is caused by the id of the sub-task issue type being different between server and cloud, and so it doesn't know how to map it properly after importing (though there is no indication of any problems through the Automation UI or when saving).
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.