Current process
- Client reports problem
- Support confirms problem is a bug
- Support clones the issue
- Original issue stays in Support project, cloned issue moves to Devs project
- Original and clone sit around for (however long)
- Bug is fixed
- Clone is closed
- Support and client confirm the fix in the original and resolves the original, or, clones the original again if more work needed
- Rinse repeat 4-8
New process
Is this reasonable, or at least standard process for most organizations?
- Client reports problem
- Support confirms problem is a bug
- Support moves the issue to Devs project
- Bug is fixed
- Devs moves issue to Support project
- Support and client confirm the fix, or, Support moves back to Devs project if more work needed
- Rinse repeat 3-6
Does the new process seem logical?
I'm not sure if there's a better way of doing things. I feel like this is probably the best way to manage and track issues that are reported as one thing, but are discovered to be bugs. I'm unsure if Jira has it's own kind of SOP for the "official" way of doing things.
The problem(s) I'm trying to solve
- In my own queue alone, over 95% of the issues that are assigned to me have been cloned and are waiting for Devs; a large number of issues in the Support queue that Support has no control over.
- The SLAs for the original issues are put into reports for management
- We're duplicating information that already exists
- We're increasing the number of places that information might be stored (comments sections for each original and cloned issue)
- Excessive email notifications each time work is done on either issue
Why are they doing it the way they are?
The reasoning that I was given was something to the affect of
We want to 'keep track' of what bugs customers have reported, that are being handled by the Devs.
I asked why we don't just check the Devs projects when we want to know this, and I never really got a solid answer.
If there is a better way of managing this, please let me know. Thanks.