I have an automation that creates user stories when it is "Manually" triggered. I would like the automation to prompt the user for the name of the summary of the user story. Is there a way to do this and have the prompted value be used in the automation?
No, you cannot prompt for input via an automation.
Hi @Sandra Fuchs
Adding to Mikael's answer...
What problem are you trying to solve with the manually triggered rule? Perhaps if you share that, the community to offer other ideas.
For example...let's say you want newly created issues to have certain fields updated. You could change your trigger to Issue Created and then accomplish this need with the rule.
Kind regards,Bill
Thanks @Mikael Sandberg That saves me from continuing to hunt for an answer.
@Bill Sheboy When the server team receives a work request, they would like 6 user stories to be generated, and they want the name of the user story to contain the server name. Since the server name is dynamic, I wanted to prompt the user for the server name at the start of the automation and use that name in the summary field for all user stories created.
I understand your suggestion for using "Issue created" that you mention above but that is not what I am after. I guess I could have the user manually create the first user story and use a custom field to hold the server name. Then run an automation that generates the remaining 5 user stories using the value from the custom field in the first user story.
Any other advice would be appreciated.
Best regards,
Sandra
Thanks for that information, Sandra.
Yes, that is what I was suggesting: have the requestor create the first story, and that one includes the information a rule could use to create the remaining ones.
Hi @Sandra Fuchs @Bill Sheboy @Mikael Sandberg
Just a quick note to say that we’ve now released support for manually triggered automation rules that can request user input when the rule is run - you can read more about this here: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Automation-articles/Request-input-from-users-when-a-Manual-rule-is-triggered/ba-p/2333587#U2366111If anyone has feedback on this feature, the Automation team would love to hear from you - feel free to book in time to chat: https://calendly.com/cgavey/automation-feedback?month=2023-05
@Charlie Gavey can one also promt during an automation? Imagine the prio is changed to something, I want to user to add a comment to state the reason for the change.
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.