I am looking for a way to achieve the following for stories & task issue workflows:
- If I am on the "Backlog" window and add an Issue, I want the status to default to "To Do" so that it is available on the backlog for adding to future sprints
- If I am on the "Roadmap" window and add an Issue into an Epic, I want the status to default to "Needs Requirements" (not mapped to a board column) so that it is on my roadmap but doesn't move to the backlog until the PM team are ready to move it into the backlog for development
The problem I am having is that if I set the first status in the workflow to "To Do" then the items from the roadmap go straight into the backlog, overloading it with stories and making it hard to know what is ready to be worked on or not. If instead I set it to "Needs Requirements" then if we need to break down a story in the backlog in sprint planning and add a new story, it disappears from the Backlog and you have to go find it in the "Issues" list and update the status to move it into the Backlog.
I've looked at the automations but I can't see any way of automatically updating the status based on which window the user is entering the data.
Is there a way to do this, or an alternative workflow I should be considering?