Background:
- We use a custom field called Environment with the options of Dev Branch, Stage, Demo, and Prod.
- Some teams use subtasks, some do not.
- Subtasks can go through the environments at different times (one could be in Dev Branch, one in Stage, one in Demo, etc)
- It's possible to only have 1 subtask
Our QA team needs to know when the parent task is in Demo, which is tricky because part of it might already be in production by the time the last subtask gets to Demo. So I need to be able to update the parent IF
- All subtasks Environment = Demo
- One subtasks Environment = Demo and the other subtasks Environment in(Demo,Prod)
I have the following rule set up in automation:
Action: When value changes for Environment
If: Environment = Demo
For Parent
- IF subtasks Match: "Environment[Dropdown]" = Demo or "Environment[Dropdown]" in(Demo, Production)
- Then edit field Environment to Demo
I think this might work, but I am worried about things where there is only 1 subtask, and if it moves to Production, would it then update the parent to Demo? We have separate automation that updates the parent Environment to Production if all subtasks are in Production, but you can't force order of execution of rules, so I'm worried it'll move Environment back to Demo even though it should be Production.
Thoughts?