Dear All,
We have two teams sharing the same Jira project: a team of developers (DEV) and a team of testers (QA). Each team has its own tasks and they run parallel sprints. The idea is that while the DEV team works on its current tasks, the QA team tests the tasks completed by the DEV team in the previous sprint. In order to do that, each time a DEV sprint ends we have to manually create a task for each user story in the DEV sprint which is in the DONE state. Moreover, in order to keep things organized, each new task must be linked with the original user story.
We decided to take advantage of the Jira automation capabilities and automatize this whole process.
We created the following rule in a dummy project and tested it.

The idea is simple:
- The rule is executed when a sprint is completed
- The actions are performed on all the issues in the sprint
- We first check that the issue is in the DONE state and that its a User story
- We then clone the issue. The cloned issue is a "Task" and not an "User story"
- We then link the newly created issue to the original issue
It took me a while to design the rule the way it is now. At the beginning I thought that I could simply use the same clone-issue command to update the link as well, but apparently this cannot be done: first you have to create the new task and then link to the previous one.
I thought of using nested branch because I needed to refer to each issue in the "issues-in-sprint" branch when creating the link.
Well, the rule is working just fine in the dummy project, so I decided to create a similar rule in our main project. Today I tried to do that but I soon found that it was impossible: I could not nest the two branches.
I started looking around for a solution and for my surprise I discover that braches cannot be nested.
I'm now facing two dilemmas:
- How could I create the original automation a few days ago if branch nesting is not allowed? How could it work?
- If branch nesting is not allowed, how could I rewrite the original automation without this feature?
I hope someone could help me finding a solution to this mystery...