This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: Learn to plan and estimate for scrum teams
I don't see how I can add that from the settings? I can see the Task one but not the Subtask one
Here I prepared for you guys a step by step guide on how you can activate time estimates for subtasks with screenshots from a new Jira interface.
Check the link to google dock
Had to search a lot of info to understand this workflow. At the end, there are referrals to other problems and more from Jira manuals.
Hope it will be useful for you.
It's the same principle, the sub-tasks are just another issue type.
However, you do need to be a little thoughtful when estimating sub-tasks. If you're going to estimate on sub-tasks, you will find it best to not estimate at story level as soon as a sub-task has an estimate.
Thanks Nic, yes we are estimating on sub-task level so we need the Estimates field. I enabled Time Tracking and the estimate field in Story is enabled, but the Sub-task still doesn't get the Estimate field, can you elaborate how you enable that?
You need to check that the "time tracking" field is enabled in the field configuration for the sub-task type and that the field is on the screens that you are using for the sub-task types.
Hi Nic, thanks for the pointer, got it; however, there's no options to set it to estimate as Story Points? I've configured it to use Story Point for estimation in "Board->configure->estimation" and set "Time Tracking to None" because I just want to count all estimates in story point when I move the sub task to done.
So how do I put in estimates as Story Point for sub-tasks??
I seem to have found a really weird solution to this. If you go into Edit view for a Sub-task, you can click the ellipses on the upper right-hand corner and select "Log Work." There, you can set the Remaining Estimate, but you have to put time in Time Spent, which is strange. I just put 1 minute to appease the system.
If you want Tasks to be categorized by story, as I do, it seems that Sub-Tasks in JIRA are what I'd normally term "Tasks," so I guess this is the way to go? Hope this is helpful.
Ooof, I should caveat this: This does indeed assign that estimated time, but it does not chance the original estimate field, just remaining estimate. If anyone knows how to change that original field, that info would be greatly appreciated!
Pre-Condition
Copy a existing borad or create a new one before you perform any change sin live projects.So that you dont risk any existing work.
In the Board Configuration->Set the Estimation Statistic->Original Time Estimate
And Time Tracking as Remaining Estimate and Time Spent
Steps
1) Add a story to back log or active sprint.Say for example we move a story to an active sprint. Add estimate say for example 2w
2) To a Issue type-Story- Add a sub task
2) Click to view the Issue detail view for the Sub Task
3) Select More->Log Work
4) Input Time Spent is weeks,days or hours
5) You will see the Time Tracking section on the right hand side of the screen with progress bars for Estimated,Remaining and Logged work and with a option to include sub tasks or not.
You can also adjust the Remaining estimate as per your requirement. Just click on the + icon adajcent to Time Tracking section.
Hello Guys,
The only thing what you have to do is to configure on the correct way... I suggest all of you watch my video... with English Subtitles...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lf_tD8qh72c&t=44s
However, I give you an image to show the Estimations field in tasks and sub-task...
I have exactly the same issue. Everybody claims there should be an estimate field for sub-task but I cannot manage to find one.
The default is that it is not there.
As an admin, you can adjust the field configuration and/or screens so that it does appear on sub-tasks. Off-the-shelf, all you need to do are the screens - add the "timetracking" field to the create and edit screens for sub-tasks in the project.
you are the man Mauricio...!Mucho gracias hermano
Thank you Pavel this was exactly what I needed.
The google document helped me walk through the process of adding Time Tracking. Thank you!
Thank you. This was really helpful for the quick turnaround.
Mauricio Thanks for the video...
Hello Everyone I have few queries1) I don't see the settings under sub task if performed through the video (Story point set as 0) did anyone get that.2) Also as I have read forums it says Task/Sub task need to be estimated in man hours... and no points.Now when I set a Story say as 8 points and create sub task for same I see Log work option for sub task.There will be no Estimation option.So what I get these are 2 entities 1 being a relative value and other being man hours...so we go ahead and estimate the sub task in hours and Story we give it some relative value?
I am new bee learning... Please advise... Thanks.
The problem with videos is that they go out of date in weeks, and are hence mostly useless as training material.
1) Settings are not under "sub tasks", they're in the administration section for "screens". Go to the project administration and find the "issue type screen scheme" piece, descend into that, looking for the screens the sub-tasks use, and then add the time-tracking field into that.
2) You could do it in points, but time might be more useful. Whichever you choose to use, remember that they do not get counted in a sprint because a partial completion of a story is irrelevant to saying whether you've achieved what you committed to.
I also have this issue where my estimates are under sub tasks and its not rolling up to the main task. So I am not able to see the estimated effort, time spent or remaining hours as long as I dont put it on subtask. But this is not helpful as its way too manual.
It says a lot that there are so many out there having to go here and make an entry... Maybe the UX team of Jira Software has to have another look at the way this is implemented
Hi, You can try with Hierarchical Calculation Field (https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1219833/hierarchical-calculation-field)
Cheers,
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.