In a Sprint or on Backlog for an issue that is 'On Hold' how can I use automation to look at its linked issues 'Blocked By' / 'Depends On' and check and notify me when the status of those linked issues changes?
The linked issues may or may not be in my project; and the rule is not triggered by 'Issue created' or 'Issue linked'
SO I can't work out if this can be one rule or several; and also (tried without success) what is the trigger to check the status of the linked issues for the issue that is 'On Hold' i.e. is it
- When: Field Value Changed
- When: Issue linked Types: Blocks, Dependent
- When: Scheduled
- or something other?
I'm also unclear how I would trigger a check for when all the linked issues 'Blocked By' / 'Depends On' are 'Done'; and then branch and transition the issue that is 'On Hold' to 'To Do', set a priority, assign it and notify individuals that this issue is available/unblocked.
I had thought that this might involve the action Manage Watchers but then realised that just adds a user to the issue 'on hold'
I have looked and tried various patterns from this prior community question but still can't fathom it out https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Software-questions/Automation-of-Blocked-Linked-Issue-Notifications-and-Transitions/qaq-p/1778074
Sorry being very new to JIRA Automation I watched/read and searched for ways to do this; and having tried lots of different paths (such as comparing keys etc), but I'm just getting myself confused. Not least with relationship between usage of the Branch For Linked Issue and For Destination issue (can't find a simple example anywhere obvious)
Use Case:
- In sprint or in [product] backlog
- Issue Foo1 (my project key) has status On Hold (with one or more linked issues)
- Is blocked by linked issue Foo2 (other project key)
- depends on linked issue Foo3 (my project key)
- Notify when Foo2 and/or Foo3 status changes
- When all linked issues 'blocked by' or 'depends on' have been themselves transitioned to Done; then
- Notify assignees that Foo1 is no longer blocked
- Transition Foo1 to 'To Do' and set priority etc.