Hi,
We've started using JIRA Service Management on the Cloud, Free plan as we're a very small team and have to watch the pennies. It's working out well except for one element. Apologies if I use the wrong terminology anywhere here, but I'm relatively new to Atlassian and find a lot of the features hard to navigate (though I'd say I'm pretty capable technology wise).
We have a knowledge base (confluence space) with some articles that we'd like to give external customer access to.
The service desk project works fine and customers are registered when they email our support address - this then gives them access to the customer portal.
They can see the knowledge base categories that I've defined, but then they click into the categories, they are informed there are no documents available. For internal service desk/confluence accounts, the documents are all there, under the correct categories just fine.
In the free plan, I can't change permissions, but confluence-users SHOULD have view access to the documents.
IF I then flip over to the standard plan on the free trial, I can then go into permissions and enable anonymous access. At this point, anyone (registered or not) can view the knowledge base articles just fine.
The behaviour doesn't (IMO) match what is suggested in various articles or in the application help tips, and I can't justify the standard plan at the moment just to have a couple of articles accessible for customers. Sure, it's what I would prefer, but I would probably have to just stick the docs on our website as PDFs if there isn't a solution to giving public (either registered users or otherwise) access to knowledge base articles.
Direct links to docs don't work either by the way - they just result in a no access padlock on the customer portal.
I was hoping there would be a tool with Confluence/Service Management (I'm not even sure which tool "owns" permissions here!) to query the access rights to the document to establish if I'm getting something wrong in the config, or this is a limitation of the Free plan, or a bug...
Hopefully someone can point me to the magic switch!
For info, I've been through all of the settings I can find but almost everything seems to point to creation of user accounts, rather than visibility of documents.
All the best,
Oliver