I am trying to adapt the following rule to copy labels from the Epic to the child issue when it is created. I am adapting this rule which is part of the Jira template but it is failing.
https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/automation-template-library/rules#/rule/1357179
My rule:
I am creating the issue from the Epic directly but the rule is failing for the following reason:
I am able to make the condition pass with some JQL using parent, but the labels are still not getting copied from the parent.
Any thoughts?
Hi @nicolaspannetier
Your rule is mostly correct, and you do not need any additional marketplace apps to do this.
For the Issue Created trigger, there can be timing issues where all data is not available. Please add a Re-fetch action immediately after the trigger to see how that helps.
Next for your edit, please change to:
Kind regards,Bill
Hi,
If you choose "Copy from Epic" instead of "Copy from issue" does it work?
greetings, Marco
The error says that the rule has project restrictions. Is the Epic in a different project?
Can you adjust the restriction in the 'rule details' section as mentioned and check?
Hello @nicolaspannetier
If you don't mind using a paid add-on, another solution would be to use Elements Copy & Sync, which lets you do just what you need.
In addition to the initial copy, you would be able to synchronise the labels (or anything, actually) from the Epic to its child issues, meaning that if you add a label later to the Epic, it would be automatically added to all the issues within the Epic as well.
I'm the Product Manager of the app, so if you have any question I will be happy to help.
Kind regards,
Julien
In the rule I described above the condition is failing. If I changed it to some JQL with `parent IS NOT EMPTY` then the condition passes but the the labels are still not applied even though I am getting a message that reads "Issues edited successfully" in the audit log
The rule details are like below and looking to me, no?
Ideally I'd like to find a free solution for this simple automation but your app looks interesting and I'll check it out
Great, don't hesitate if you need any help.
Awesome that works! The Re-fetch made the trick. Thanks a bunch!
And confirming that I need to use copy from parent
@Bill Sheboy - When I create a Feature the labels from its parent EPIC is not getting copied. Not sure what is missing in the rule here. Can you help?
Hi @Sutanu Roy -- Welcome to the Atlassian Community!
This is very old question / thread, and so I recommend creating a new question, perhaps adding a link back to this one. That will ensure the maximum number of people see it to offer ideas.
When you post your question, include the image of your complete rule, the audit log details showing the rule execution, and what you expected to happen. That will provide context for the community to offer suggestions. Thanks!
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.