I have the following requirement:
- On Issue creation
- If the issue is linked to an Epic and "custom field A" is empty
- Set the new issue's "custom field A" value to the Epic's "custom field A" value
This is because in 95% of the cases, child issues should have the same value for "custom field A" as their parent, unless specified otherwise. Automating this process would save a lot of unnecessary data entry.
This is a fairly straightforward task that can be accomplished by an Automation and I can find plenty of examples of this on the web (for example this Jira Software Cummunity Question ).
However, my problem is that "custom field A" is mandatory, and the Issue Creation sequence of event does not seem to allow for this, i.e.:
- My automation starts with the trigger "When: Issue created"
- I thought the trigger might fire before the "mandatory field check" is performed, but it seems it is done after, therefore the Issue won't be created unless the user sets a value for "custom field A", meaning my automation never fires...
I know I could either:
- Make that field optional
- But I can't do that because it could end up empty on issues created without an Epic
- Or make that field optional AND the Epic link field mandatory
- However, I don't want to to that because there are a lot of ad-hoc "floating tasks" in our projects and forcing all of them to be under an Epic would be counter productive.
Is there a way I could satisfy this requirement? Any help will be greatly appreciated, thanks! ☺