Today I looked at the calendar, and was shocked to see that despite this question, asked in 2016 (https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/How-can-users-disable-Jira-email-notifications/qaq-p/392674) and this question asked in 2017 (https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/How-can-I-manage-email-notifications-as-a-user/qaq-p/636814), I'm still recieving mountains of useless emails that I have to sift through every day, making the Jira email notification system completely useless?
Just today, I recieved 50 emails, 49 of which was our project manager going through and copying values from the "Story Points" field into the "Story Points Estimate" field, and 1 of which was our QA analyst adding a comment on a ticket. Jira, of course, decided to send an email for every single one of these events, despite the fact that I DON'T CARE about the updates made to the story points estimate field. I DO care about the comment left by our QA. I spent 5 minutes checking every single one of these emails to see if any of them contained any useful and informative content. 5 minutes of time wasted by Jira's needless spam. Isn't Jira supposed to increase productivity? How is wasting my time by making me sift through mountains of garbage increasing my productivity?
As mentioned in the previous questions, it is impossible to change this. Unrealistic suggestions were made ("Just get your Jira Admins to change the notification settings on a system wide basis!") and ("Just enable Batch Mode"!) but these are not realistic. The first one is not an option because the jira admins have much more important things to do than to spend hours of their time fine tuning the notification settings on a project-wide basis because of complaints by the users, all because of a broken notification system by Jira. The second one does not solve the problem. If my project manager makes 5 meaningless updates to 1 ticket, then yes, all 5 of the meaningless updates will be batched into 1 email. But if my project manager makes 1 meaningless update to 50 tickets, then I will still recieve 50 meaningless emails. 50 meaningless emails that I must spend on average 5 seconds per email checking to see if it contains anything useful, or is just another instance of Jira deciding to fill up my inbox with garbage.
I can't believe that users have been shouting loudly and clearly: "Jira, please stop spamming us!!!" for 5 YEARS, and yet Jira continues to send spam. I wonder what is the environmental impact of all this Jira spam? How much electricity is used to send these meaningless emails?
ATLASSIAN. I WILL SAY THIS LOUD AND CLEARLY. YOU NEED TO ALLOW ME, AS A USER, TO SET MY OWN NOTIFICATION SETTINGS SO THAT I CAN DECIDE WHICH EMAILS I RECIEVE.
I have set up a spam filter to ensure that all Jira emails go directly into the trash, and if someone asks ("Why didnt you see that comment I left on the ticket?") I will tell them that it's because Jira fills up my inbox with useless garbage so it's going into the spam folder and if they don't like it then go complain to Atlassian.
WHY is there not a simple settings box, allowing me to specify which types of events to send emails for and which to not?
Don't send me an email if the story points estimate field is updated, don't send me an email if someone changes the product owner field, don't send me an email if someone adds a label, don't send me an email if someone changes the priority.
Do send me an email if someone leaves a comment.
Why, Jira, why? All of your emails from henceforth will go directly into the garbage where they belong.