This isn't as much of a question as it is a request for help in solving an issue. Anyway, Below has information I'm. I'd love for any information as to whether this is known existing issue vs. a potential issue with my setup. For the latter, could use direction on how to troubleshoot.
Overview
I'm trying to get issues in my next-gen project to automatically advance by using GitHub integration. e.g. Smart Commits + the Jira Github Application (e.g. not using the DVCS connector).
I believe that I have all the proper setup in place but the status of my Jira issue is not updating when I take actions in Github ... or rather ... it the status of the card isn't staying updated. From looking at the "changelog" information returned when all call a GET for the issue via the JIRA REST API, I can see that the status is advancing and then seems to immediately get reverted milliseconds later to the previous status. The advancing of the status and the reversion to the prior status are associated with an"Automation for Jira" account.
Details
Here's workflow that I have setup for my Next-Gen project:

In my next-gen project I have a project-level automation rules setup to transition:
- When Branch created
- When commit added
- When PR created
- When PR merged
Here's example of the setup for PR created:


In my card, I'm able to see that the automations are getting triggered:

Also, the Automation also shows "success" in the history log:

Here's information that I'm seeing in the "changelog" portion of JSON when I call .../rest/api/2/issue/{{issue-key}}?expand=changelog

JSON details:
{
"id": "11134",
"author": {
"self": "https://medcurio.atlassian.net/rest/api/2/user?accountId=557058%3Af58131cb-b67d-43c7-b30d-6b58d40bd077",
"accountId": "557058:f58131cb-b67d-43c7-b30d-6b58d40bd077",
"avatarUrls": {
"48x48": "https://secure.gravatar.com/avatar/600529a9c8bfef89daa848e6db28ed2d?d=https%3A%2F%2Favatar-management--avatars.us-west-2.prod.public.atl-paas.net%2Finitials%2FAJ-0.png",
"24x24": "https://secure.gravatar.com/avatar/600529a9c8bfef89daa848e6db28ed2d?d=https%3A%2F%2Favatar-management--avatars.us-west-2.prod.public.atl-paas.net%2Finitials%2FAJ-0.png",
"16x16": "https://secure.gravatar.com/avatar/600529a9c8bfef89daa848e6db28ed2d?d=https%3A%2F%2Favatar-management--avatars.us-west-2.prod.public.atl-paas.net%2Finitials%2FAJ-0.png",
"32x32": "https://secure.gravatar.com/avatar/600529a9c8bfef89daa848e6db28ed2d?d=https%3A%2F%2Favatar-management--avatars.us-west-2.prod.public.atl-paas.net%2Finitials%2FAJ-0.png"
},
"displayName": "Automation for Jira",
"active": true,
"timeZone": "America/Denver",
"accountType": "app"
},
"created": "2020-11-23T17:16:59.423-0700",
"items": [
{
"field": "status",
"fieldtype": "jira",
"fieldId": "status",
"from": "10004",
"fromString": "Acceptance Testing",
"to": "10001",
"toString": "In Progress"
}
],
"historyMetadata": {}
},
{
"id": "11133",
"author": {
"self": "https://medcurio.atlassian.net/rest/api/2/user?accountId=557058%3Af58131cb-b67d-43c7-b30d-6b58d40bd077",
"accountId": "557058:f58131cb-b67d-43c7-b30d-6b58d40bd077",
"avatarUrls": {
"48x48": "https://secure.gravatar.com/avatar/600529a9c8bfef89daa848e6db28ed2d?d=https%3A%2F%2Favatar-management--avatars.us-west-2.prod.public.atl-paas.net%2Finitials%2FAJ-0.png",
"24x24": "https://secure.gravatar.com/avatar/600529a9c8bfef89daa848e6db28ed2d?d=https%3A%2F%2Favatar-management--avatars.us-west-2.prod.public.atl-paas.net%2Finitials%2FAJ-0.png",
"16x16": "https://secure.gravatar.com/avatar/600529a9c8bfef89daa848e6db28ed2d?d=https%3A%2F%2Favatar-management--avatars.us-west-2.prod.public.atl-paas.net%2Finitials%2FAJ-0.png",
"32x32": "https://secure.gravatar.com/avatar/600529a9c8bfef89daa848e6db28ed2d?d=https%3A%2F%2Favatar-management--avatars.us-west-2.prod.public.atl-paas.net%2Finitials%2FAJ-0.png"
},
"displayName": "Automation for Jira",
"active": true,
"timeZone": "America/Denver",
"accountType": "app"
},
"created": "2020-11-23T17:16:59.319-0700",
"items": [
{
"field": "status",
"fieldtype": "jira",
"fieldId": "status",
"from": "10001",
"fromString": "In Progress",
"to": "10004",
"toString": "Acceptance Testing"
}
],
"historyMetadata": {}
},