I am exploring the Jira functionality at the moment and while the searching and filtering is quite powerful, I have come across a limit in functionality around custom sorting / ordering - or a limit in my knowledge.
I need to be able to combine values from two separate custom fields that have values entered by two different work areas. I cannot combine them into one. I then want to be able to combine or concatenate them into a new custom field that has set options (like single select), so not text, so that I can apply a custom order. This would essentially allow me to run the two original fields through a matrix and set the order of the destination values by the matrix hierarchy - think risk management by combining likelihood and consequence to give an overall risk score. I want to be able to sort and order issues by this overall risk score and not just likelihood or just consequence.
I have tried to arrange these two fields into a cascade select form, but then I can only set the order by parent and then by the child. I cannot set the order of parent and child combined which is unfortunate.
I have tried using a post function (copy fields) pulling from cascade select sheets but only the child values copy across (and I think it only copied into text fields anyway though I may be wrong on this).
I have tried using Jira automation which I can only get to work for combining the two values into a text field. I used the following.
{{issue.Customfield1.value}} – {{issue.Customfield2.value}}
This is great but I cannot then set an order with text fields. I can get the automation seemingly setup (it runs and shows no error) to enter into single select fields but when I look in the issue, the field remains empty. To clarify I set the single select field to have all of the possibly options from the two original fields.
I feel like this should be easy and I may be missing something obvious. I've exhausted my abilities and need help. Is it possible to pull together values from two different fields into a select field (or equivalent) to allow for custom sorting or ordering when running filters? I want to be able run ASC or DESC by this combined 'overall risk' order with the results. Is there another way to achieve my aim?