Hi Derek, you can make a project private by limiting it's users & roles. If you're a JIRA admin, you can access these settings by clicking on the gear icon in the top-right, then selecting 'Projects'. Once the page loads, click on the project you want to update, and go to the 'Users and roles' section of the project settings. From here you can add a new user to a specific role by selecting the 'Add users to a role' option in the upper-right, enter the desired user and select the appropriate role, then click 'Add'. You can also remove users/roles from the list of existings users/roles by hovering over the user/role and clicking the trashcan icon.
Here's a couple of help articles that should give you further details on this process:
https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiracloud/managing-project-roles-776636382.html
https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftwarecloud/managing-project-role-memberships-764478255.html
Hi
I have created a scrum project in JIRA. However, the project is accessible to everyone. How can make it a project the project private i.e. visible and accessible to users only working on the project.
Although this answer is labelled Cloud it doesn't seem to apply to the current version of Cloud. Am I wrong about that?
I believe the basic process still applies to cloud, but the admin sections may have changed names/labels on things since I provided my original answer.
If you are using a "classic software" project then the 'Users and roles' section is now called 'People'. If you are using a "next-gen software" project then the 'Users and roles' section is now called 'Access'.
The links I provided in my original answer should have been updated to reflect any changes in cloud, as those are maintained by Atlassian.
Should we be using permission schemes in classic projects for scalability?
@Stefanie SullivanSorry, I'm not sure I follow your question. Permission schemes are required for Jira projects, as they determine who can access the project & what they can do.
For scalability on permission schemes, best practice is to use Project Roles to assign permissions, and then add Groups to said Project Roles, and then Users to said Groups. This makes it so that when adding/removing users, you do not need to alter the project's settings to add/remove individual users, and instead can add/remove a user to/from a group to maintain permissions.
Hope this answer helps, but if you still have questions please feel free to ask.
Hello.I'm spinning up a new team to manage a new ATS contract.We've begun the procurement process and are starting to build a backlog or requirements.
One of the bidders is our current provider, for obvious reasons i need to ensure they do not have access to the new board.I've created a new board and tried to ensure that only a few can access it. I've run a few tests and so far everyone can access it.I've followed your advice from this post and others that I've found in this community, but I've been unsuccesful.Please help.
Hi Matt, I've responded to your stand-alone post here: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Core-questions/Making-a-new-jira-board-private/qaq-p/1578989
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.