Hi, I am trying to set up a Mail Handler so that we can send an email to Jira Cloud and have it added as a Comment (and attach attachments) to the Issue.
I am aware of these and other articles however this has not resolved the issue for me;https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver073/creating-issues-and-comments-from-email-861253784.htmlhttps://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA052/Creating+Issues+and+Comments+from+Email?_ga=2.249884037.222675531.1574145752-456666802.1574145752https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Core-questions/How-To-Create-JIRA-Issue-by-Sending-Email-to-our-Cloud/qaq-p/61622
Our System Incoming Mail Settings are are such:Default Cloud Mail Server Username: jira@mycompany.atlassian.netWe have two Mail Handlers set up:Comments from emailsCloud Email HandlerDefault Cloud Mail Server(Cloud Email Handler)andAdd incoming email to CommentsAdd a comment with the entire email bodyDefault Cloud Mail Server(Add a comment with the entire email body)The question I have is what email address do I send this email to? Is it to jira@mycompany.atlassian.net? (I assume I do not have to set up another POP3 mailbox)eg.To: jira@mycompany.atlassian.netFrom: kevin@mycompany.comSubject: PROJECT-123Body: This is a testI have tried this but it is not working. Any ideas where to look further?Thank youKevin
Hello Kevin,
Thank you for reaching out.
I understand that you are not being able to add comments to existing issues through e-mail, however, the creation of issues is working just fine. Is that correct?
you are correct to presume that you don't need to set another POP3 e-mail box for the "Add incoming email to Comments" handler, you can select the Default Cloud mail server in the creation of the handler. In fact, the e-mail server handler should be appearing for you in the handler description:
That being said, I believe your problem must be caused by some permission or misconfiguration in the Handler. Please, follow the steps below to troubleshoot it:
1 - Check if the e-mail address trying to add the comment through e-mail to the issue can log in in JIRA and add it through the User interface
2 - If he is not allowed to do it, check if your handler is properly configured with a Default reporter or to create the user when the e-mail is sent
3 - Check if the e-mail is not creating a new issue instead of adding a new comment
4 - I see that the documentation you are using is related to JIRA server. Please, use the following Cloud documentation to configure your handler:
- Creating issues and comments from email
5 - In case you still facing this issue, please provide us a screenshot of the e-mail you are sending with the comment (Displaying sender, subject, etc) and another screenshot of your handler properties, like the one I sent you.
Let us know if you have any questions.
Hi @Petter Gonçalves, thank you for the reply and advice. The Jira Cloud user that was created has an Email Address of kevinvb@mweb.com. This is an alias. My Email actually comes from kevin.vanblerk@mweb.com so Jira Cloud rejects it. I created a new Jira Cloud user with an Email Address of kevin.vanblerk@mweb.com and tested it and it works, my Email is attached as a Comment. The Email Address the email comes from it seems must be the same as that of the user. Do you perhaps know if there is a way to allow all Email from any Email Address (possibly restricted to *@mweb.com) to send to Jira Cloud and have it added as a Comment? If not I will have to recreate many of our users with their actual Email address and not an alias.Thank youKevin
Hi Petter, I'm trying to follow the instruction below,"Receive emails from new usersTo allow Jira to handle email messages sent from people without a Jira user account:Create an anonymous or dummy mail account on your mail server.Create an equivalent anonymous or dummy Jira user account, whose email address matches the mail account you just created. When configuring your mail handler options, set the Default Reporter to be the anonymous or dummy Jira user account."if I create this dummy Jira User with the dummy Email Address and I set the Default Reporter as this dummy Jira account will this solve my question above? The reason I ask is if so why did it not work when I had my first account (kvanblerk@mweb.com) set as the Default Reporter?
Hello @[deleted]
Indeed, the workaround to add a dummy user as a default reporter should allow any external user to create issues in JIRA, not only from a specific alias.
About this question:
The reason I ask is if so why did it not work when I had my first account (kvanblerk@mweb.com) set as the Default Reporter?
In order to allow the handler to create issues when receiving comments from external users, the user that will be used as the default reporter should have all the permissions to create issues and comment on the existing issues of the project.
That being said, can you set the default reporter with the proper permissions in the project and test the handler again?
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.