https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/Why-don-t-I-get-an-email-notification-if-I-mention-myself-in-a/qaq-p/1176075 asks the same question but has an unsatisfactory answer to me and my colleagues. Since I demand satisfaction, opening up this separate question.
When I used to @ mention myself, no matter my notification settings (short of completely disabling) I would get an alert of my own mention. That has ceased to work.
This feature was useful for many reasons, including self tagging tasks or action items in comments. Others have flagged stories like having email copies of comments to foward on to outside parties without jira instance access.
While there is an option to enable notifications for all my activity, that is *not* what I want. What I, and my colleagues, want is the original middle ground where our own activity doesn't notify us constantly but we are treated as our own third party if we @ notify ourselves.
It looks like this is the correct issue to follow: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-73112
I will prefer to leave this unanswered until an actual workaround for the regression is provided or the above issue is fixed. This answer will serve to make this discoverable.