If I'm making some fairly major changes to Jira, what happens if I mess something up and the whole thing comes down? Can I restore to a previous point in time, or do I need to arrange for a regular backup myself?
You need to talk with your provider. If you're making major changes you should have them back it up just before you make changes. However, restoring from the backup will overwrite any then changed including anything users do so it is best to disable access to other users.
Jira Cloud is regularly backed up - https://confluence.atlassian.com/cloud/data-storage-faq-873871367.html
but Atlassian do not generally support the use of backup data to roll back changes (quote).
Thanks Jimmy. Forgive my ignorance, but what's the difference between going back to a "restore point" and "rolling back" changes? Is that like the difference between restoring Windows to a system restore point and pressing Ctrl+Z when you're working on something? If it's system restore point then that's what I'm looking for...
Thanks Joseph. What do you mean by "provider"? Is that not Atlassian? We're on Jira Cloud.
I've only used the server version. I know there are companies out there providing JIRA and other Atlassian tools besides Atlassian. I don't know if they are cloud providers so 'provider' covers whoever is supporting you.
The backup is a snapshot that includes everything including data. In my experience 'roll back' has meant rolling back database updates to a check point. Restoring a JIRA backup totally replaces the system and any changes made since the backup time are lost. You can't pick and choose what to restore.
Okay Joseph, thanks for that. I think I've got it. So really it is like a Windows restore point.
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.