Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's the position of Jira Work Management

Carlos Chang July 4, 2023

Hi guys,

I barely use Jira work management project before, mostly Jira and JSM project since I don't know what's the position of Jira Work Management.

I saw the product overview about Jira Work Management, it only gave me the concept of "This is a management tool for business teams", still kinda confused.

In what situation would you recommend your customer to use Jira Work Management?

5 comments

Comment

Kai Becker
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 4, 2023

Hi @Carlos Chang 

thanks for your question. In my opinion, JWM is the perfect fit for teams that need a simple Kanban board, without all the software development features of JSW.
This is how I explain in to my customers. 

Benefits of using JWM for such teams:

• they can use boards but don't get Sprints, Versions, Releases and so on
  • the get additional features like calendar view or table view (with inline create/edit)
  • and pricing per user is a little bit cheaper

Hope this helps.

Like # people like this
Kalin U
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 4, 2023

How do you (if so) respond to teams' requests for nesting pieces of work in Jira Work Management?

In our case we set up a (test) project for onboarding employees. At the Epic level we have the employee, then at the Story/Task level we have the theme, and finally at the Sub-task level stands the actual work with an assignee and due date. These move across a simple workflow: Pending > Onboarding > Not Applicable > Onboarded.

This set up however looks horrendous on the Timeline view, as epics do not include the stories/tasks beneath. Same observation for the Board view.

I'm genuinely interested in how Jira Work Management may be used by teams that want to visualize their work in a hierarchal way.

Like # people like this
Javier Angel
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 4, 2023

Hi @Carlos Chang 

Thank you for your question. When we say "designed for business teams" what we mean is that Jira Work Management has been designed with marketing, operations, sales, HR, finance, legal, and design teams in mind. When working on projects, these teams tend to require less of the development features such as sprints, versions and releases as @Kai Becker mentioned above. 

For more information, I'd suggest viewing our blog below and this YouTube playlist for JWM Monthly Minute.

Blog: JWM vs. JSW

YouTube: Monthly Minute

Like # people like this
Randy O_Neal
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 10, 2023

Interesting... thanks for the details here.  This is most helpful!

Mahachok
Banned
July 5, 2023

Thanks for the question. What does it help to do about my business?

Like Randy O_Neal likes this
Rachel McDonald July 13, 2023

We use Jira Work Management when we need a project with a board, but we don't need sprints.

That might be oversimplifying it, but that works in my brain. LOL

We use Jira Service Management for communicating with clients (external) and work out of queues. We use Jira Software for work related to sprints and the issues are displayed as the board.

Like Randy O_Neal likes this
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 13, 2023

@Carlos Chang we use Jira Work Management in HR, Finance, IT, etc.  For us it really depends on the scope of the project, teams involved and what type of reporting / insights are needed.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events