Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Been out of the loop for a while

Markus Fredén
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 3, 2023

Hi People,

I've been out of the loop for a while. Is it fair to say that JWM was formerly known as Jira Core?

Are there any major differences between the two worth mentioning?

/Markus

4 comments

Comment

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 3, 2023

Welcome back!

Sort of.  It has been for a while, but Atlassian have announced complete separation, there's now:

1. Jira Platform (which is useless on its own, it needs one of the others, and I'm not sure it's really called that)
  2. Jira Work Management 
  3. Jira Software
  4. Jira Service Management
  5. Jira Product Discovery

If you got any one of 2-5, then it's going to be a bundle of JP + <product>. 

The old (still current) offering is one of 3-5 = Jira Core + <product>, where Jira Core was now what we'd call JP + JWM.

I suspect I'm wildly over-simplifying, but I find it useful to think in a reductionist way like this here.

Like # people like this
Markus Fredén
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 3, 2023

Thanks for the short and sweet explanation! Much appreciated!

Like # people like this
Kalin U
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 3, 2023

Atlassian started Work Management for non-IT, non-service teams much like Core was targeted at businesses teams. So, you're right: JWM supercedes Core along with unique features (internal forms, calendar, timeline, inline editing lists among them).

Apart from its price, I still don't see major benefits over Jira Software.

Like # people like this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 3, 2023

The quick answer is Yes, JWM has it's origins as Jira Cloud Core. But as Nic noted, it has recently be split out as a separate product and you will see separate licensing for it in the future (i.e. 2024 sometime). 

Like # people like this
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 13, 2023

@Markus Fredén Jira work management provides much more functionality than core.  Especially helping more traditional teams manage projects.  I would suggest signing up for free and using the product so you can see all it has to offer.

Like John Funk likes this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events