Three Things I Wish I'd Known: Brittany Joiner

Brittany Joiner
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 23, 2018

Sharing a few thoughts about things that I wish I'd known once I first jumped in here in the community! I hope they're helpful, and if you're new, reach out to me (or any Champions!) - we love to nerd out about Atlassian and the Community :)  

1. How To Find Relevant Content

I felt very overwhelmed by the abundance of content in the community. It’s amazing… but where does one start??

I found it help to click “Explore” and focus on a category. As Trello’s #1 Super Fan, that was the content I cared about the most so it was easy to go straight to a section that’s all about Trello. That’s the easiest way to find the content that I know will matter the most to me.

Screen Shot 2018-10-19 at 4.26.31 PM.png

Another way is to build your community feed. From your home page, just choose the boxes to select the content that you want to see and every time you log in, you’ll have a home page that shows exactly what you want to see!

Screen Shot 2018-10-19 at 4.37.56 PM.png

Lastly, if you’ve got something specific in mind that you want to find, just search!

Screen Shot 2018-10-19 at 4.20.23 PM.png

2. Subscribe to something, but NOT everything.

Once you’ve figured out how find content, now you need to be subscribed to get notified about the types of content your interested in.

It’s easy to do. Just click “watch” in groups/topics/posts that you’re interested in.

Screen Shot 2018-10-19 at 4.38.38 PM.png

But this magic can also be a curse… I decided I wanted to watch EVERYTHING related to Trello. And you know what? There’s a lot of stuff about Trello. So I started getting wayyyyy too many notifications and I can’t pay attention to them all. So I needed to cut back.

My advice? Start small, just subscribe to a few things, and then add more as you find more relevant pieces.

3. Don't be afraid to ask.

I feel like when I first started, it seemed like there was a lot going on and I was late to a party. Almost like I'd missed something, but I felt like I shouldn't ask.

Not sure why I felt this way because everyone is really friendly, and no one has bitten me (yet).

Don't hesitate to ask questions. If you're wondering where something is or how to post something or how to set up your notifications, or even how to find more pieces of content like this, don't hesitate to ask!! Reach out to people with Community Champion badges - we’re here to help! :)

2 comments

Comment

Cassie Mayes
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
October 23, 2018

Thank you for insight @Brittany Joiner! This is awesome and really helpful for newcomers. :)

Cliff Perea October 24, 2018

@Brittany Joiner, thank you for this information, it really helps!

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events