Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Throwback Thursday: What thing really takes you to the past? #TBT

It's Thursday!
giphy
For me, I think smell is the strongest. I was born and raised in Iceland. Visited America for the first time when I was 8. Visited in England when I was 6 and again around age 11. I went to Malta as well when I was younger. Iceland is cold and windy. So going to a foreign country, feeling the heat and maybe humidity as well, that is a certain smell/aroma that you just don´t get in Iceland. Even today when I go back to Iceland for work or visit and then come back to America, I can smell that "foreign scent" when I walk out the airport. Maybe it is mixture of smell and feeling the heat...  Smell of candy also does this for me. American candy seems to have a certain smell. 
giphy
Oh and dryer sheets - now that is a very distinct "foreign" smell!
giphy
Soooo, what thing really takes you to the past?
Let’s make it a great Thursday!
KGM

31 comments

Comment

Tamanna Godara
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
June 15, 2023

Happy Thursday @Kristján Geir Mathiesen !!!
My grandmom's cooking takes me to the fearless days of summer vacation spent in the village. How we used to spend the whole 2 months of summer vacations just doing nothing and living our best lives. It certainly takes me to the past, the green fields, sometimes the mustard fields with yellow flowers when we used to go there in March.

Also, she is such an amazing cook, all that she cooks is a delicacy...

Like # people like this
Joanna Weber June 15, 2023

The combination of orange and coconut (suntan lotion) and the sound of crickets chirping instantly takes me back to a US holiday when I was a child.

Like # people like this
Dan Breyen
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 15, 2023

Every so often I break out the music that we listen to as kids doing family stuff.  That brings back family trips and everyone working in the garden.

Like # people like this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 15, 2023

Hmm, I guess it can be any of those things. Or even just hearing certain words in conversations. Our minds are incredible mechanisms when you think about it. (see what I did there??)

Like # people like this
Anthony Morais
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 15, 2023

Spending the weekend at my father's farm reminds me vividly of my happy childhood.

Like # people like this
Sam Ware June 15, 2023

Music has always been a trigger for me.  Certain songs or artist are ingrained to specific memory or times in my life.

Like # people like this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 15, 2023

Great topic @Kristján Geir Mathiesen!

@John Funk is absolutely spot on, our minds are amazing!  I could probably come up with something for each one of the senses, but I'll stick with something that happened very recently.

We were visiting my parents this past weekend.  Both my sister and I have small children and I will be aging myself, but they found this:

Fisher-price-tape-recorder-cassette-player.png

To which my sister and I both remembered how when we were very little we would scramble to get in front of the radio and to be very quiet while we tried to record our favorite songs, because the concept of something like "Napster" (yes I'm very old), didn't exist yet.

Have a great Thursday everyone!

Like # people like this
Patrícia Fortunato Montenegro June 15, 2023

Great topic @Kristján Geir Mathiesen

Certainly, a great memory I have as a child was when my Mom made house bread adorned, and our house was filled with the most incredible aroma. I still love it nowadays! 😃😄❤️

Like # people like this
Gerardo Herrera
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
June 15, 2023

Something that always takes me back to the past is when I travel on the road with my family, and we pass by the same place we used to pass when we traveled with my parents. Something in the scenery...

Like # people like this
Dave Rosenlund _Trundl_
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 15, 2023

Very cool topic, @Kristján Geir Mathiesen  🙏

I don't have much to add beyond what others have already said. Smell is def. a big déjà vu trigger for me. However, I experience countless déjà vu moments (none of which I can remember right now 🤪) that I often wonder, what triggered that?

Agree: the human mind is amazing. 

Thanks for the pleasant short distraction from my work day!

Like # people like this
Amanda Barber
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 15, 2023

I agree with so many other comments. Senses (and brains) are wild! 

I always find it amazing that I still know the lyrics to a song I haven't heard in 20+ years...and the memories that accompany the song come flooding back.

Smell definitely brings back memories of childhood mostly!

Like # people like this
Fabio Racobaldo _Herzum_
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 15, 2023

The sound of the sea and the taste of the saltiness, my grandmother's voice and the taste of her delicious dishes. These are my memories of beach holidays as a child in the wonderful Amalfi

Amalfi, la città vertiginosa abbarbicata tra le rocce

Like # people like this
Tuncay Senturk
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 15, 2023

Stationery stores have a nostalgic charm that takes me back to my childhood. The sight of colourful notebooks, neatly arranged pens, and the scent of fresh paper evokes memories of choosing school supplies and unleashing our creativity. Stepping into a stationery store is like entering a time capsule, transporting to those innocent times.

Like # people like this
Summer Hogan
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 15, 2023

I relate with some many of the above comments, especially the American candy @Kristján Geir Mathiesen! For me it is homemade Apple Pie. My grandmother used to make homemade pies and it would fill the house with great aromas and I could not wait for dessert to eat it! Also, the smell of the woods brings me back to so many memories as a kid! There's nothing like the smell of the pine trees and running creek! 

Like # people like this
Kristján Geir Mathiesen
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 16, 2023

Thank you guys for all these fun memories! Wish you all a fabulous...

giphy

Like # people like this
Marjorie
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 16, 2023

I am a bit older than the average here... I think. So, her goes

1. Bell bottom pants

2. David Bowie, Queen, Abba, Stevie Wonder, John Lennon

3. Simon and Pong games

4. Walkman and the Calculator (my dad had one and we were not allowed to touch it)

5. The phone with a cord (we hid in the closet with the cord sticking out to get some privacy)

image.png         

image.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.png

Like # people like this
Dave Rosenlund _Trundl_
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 16, 2023

"I am a bit older than the average here... I think."

I'm happy to be atop the pyramid with you, @Marjorie  😉

Like # people like this
Craig Nodwell
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 16, 2023

Moving the curve LOL @Dave Rosenlund _Trundl_ @Marjorie shaking the 🌳🌳🌳

There's a few of us here who's memories are mostly black & white images, colour was too expensive.
For me it's change, seeing old places that are no longer old.  Living here in the GTA, it's not only growth that changes the familiar but also a common practice to remove the old and replace with new.

Like # people like this
Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 18, 2023

@Kristján Geir Mathiesen another unbelievable post!

For me, it's seeing a station wagon. They were all the rage in the 70's and 80's in the US, and there are very few left on the roads today. But when we were kids my parents would put down the back seats and layer the 'trunk' with our blankets and pillows and my two brothers and I would hop in the back for long drives to visit our grandparents each Sunday. Just seeing a station wagon today takes me back to being 5 years old and wanting to snuggle up in the trunk!

Like # people like this
Sanjen Bariki
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 20, 2023

Wowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Like # people like this
Sanjen Bariki
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 20, 2023

Nice

Like # people like this
Arthur Coelho Pinto June 21, 2023

Whenever i go back to my hometown and hang out with friends from college.

But it also reminds me that time is tricky... It goes by really fast, we must enjoy our happy moments :-)

Like # people like this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 21, 2023

Superb question!

There are a lot of things that throw me back  (I'm old, there's a lot of material to work with...)

But the main one is that I still have the calculator my grandma gave me when she retired. It is the first electronic calculator introduced into the UK on general sale, and it cost her department £300.  In today's terms, that would be heading for £4,000.

Like # people like this
Emily _ DevSamurai
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 25, 2023

Hi, thank you for sharing!

Like # people like this
Kristján Geir Mathiesen
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 26, 2023

Wow, @Nic Brough -Adaptavist-  Can you share a picture with us of that electronic calculator?

Like # people like this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events