Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Throwback Thursday: What WERE you going to be when you grew up? #TBT

It's Thursday!
giphy
I remember sitting in the back of my parents 1978 red and white Bronco driving back home from their summer cabin. I excitedly told them that I was going to be an inventor when I grew up. I must have been reading some spy novel (with some gadgets) or watched some movie that inspired me. I still remember this moment. I guess today I am an inventor in a way! I make solutions out of Atlassian tools...
giphy
Soooo, what WERE you going to be when you grew up?
Let’s make it a great Thursday!
KGM

32 comments

Comment

When I was a kid I wanted to be an astronaut. Today I just wanna be Batman.

Like # people like this
Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 21, 2024

I wanted to be an investigative journalist. Instead I became an investigator of outages and incidents. 🙄

Like # people like this
Vronik March 21, 2024

When I was a child I wanted to be an airplane pilot. Today I am a happy computer scientist

Like # people like this
Joanna Weber March 21, 2024

I was going to write for magazines (I did that) and I was going to be a rock star (hey, we headlined the Margate Pavilion*! Twice!)

*There were tens of people in the audience!

Like # people like this
Dan Breyen
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 21, 2024

Would you believe me if I told you I wanted to be part of the Atlassian Community ever since I could remember?  I mean helping people, answering questions, getting Kudos, and in essence collaborating with people around the world.   Talk about the dream job! 

Like # people like this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 21, 2024

The first thing I remember wanting to be (after the athlete phase, of course) was a Highway Patrol Officer (that's a state police officer for those outside the US or if your state calls them something different). Then I wanted to be an accountant (sheesh, I actually said that out loud!). Now I just count the number of Likes @Kristján Geir Mathiesen gets weekly on all of his articles. 

Like # people like this
Betty Clayton
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
March 21, 2024

When I was a kid, I wanted to be a psychologist.  I still what people are thinking sometimes.  Now, I am organizing a team of customer service techs and using Jira to do it.

Like # people like this
Daria Kulikova_GitProtect_io_ March 21, 2024

When I was about 3 or 4 years old I dreamed to be a designer, then when I was around 7 I switched my dream and wanted to become a journalist and an interpreter at the same time when I grew up - it was very ambicious plan :)  Now I'm a content writer... so, in some way my dream come true :) 

Like # people like this
Alex G March 21, 2024

When I was 5 I wanted to be a pianist but never learned to play the piano. Something new I have yet to try!

Like # people like this
Ankush Bora March 21, 2024

I so wanted to be a 'rat' in the abominable 'rat race' :)!!

Like # people like this
pam_hite_wbd_com March 21, 2024

I wanted to be an airline stewardess (PC Flight Attendant) from the day I took my first flight at 8 yrs old, until I graduated HS at 17 .  My focus shifted to computers because the age requirement for training was 18 and my parents said "NO" to my gap year request -- In all honesty, that was not a "thing" back then :)

Like # people like this
Taranjeet Singh
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 21, 2024

When I was a teenager, I wanted to be a cricketer. My friends always said I was really good at it but my parents wanted me to focus more on studies and not sports. So, I ended up to be a Computer Scientist and still surviving in this career. But I never miss a chance to play in any local cricket tournaments where age is not a restriction.

Like # people like this
Humashankar VJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 21, 2024

My ambition in childhood is all about doing something really great without any specific stream in mind and today am happy on what am with

Like # people like this
Laurie Sciutti
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 21, 2024

Marine Biologist.  I went a completely different route.  😆

Like # people like this
Shawn Doyle - ReleaseTEAM
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 21, 2024

I always wanted to be Major Sidney Freedman.

Someone who was detached from the day-to-day madness yet came in and offered valuable advice and assistance from a different outside perspective.  

Like # people like this
Benjamin
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 21, 2024

I wanted to be a jet fighter pilot. Even crafted a jet out of cardboard box where I could inside and let my imagination run wild. I think the influence came from Top Gun or Robotech. 

Like # people like this
Summer.Hogan
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 21, 2024

Hi @Kristján Geir Mathiesen! When I was growing up, I wanted to be a doctor. I went to school to be a Medical Assistant and during my internships I realized it was not for me! As you can see I made a completely different decision for my career and have transitioned from starting out as a Supply Administrator, then moving into my first IT job as a Quality Assurance Analyst, realized I didn't like that and became a Business Analyst. After doing that for about 15 years I made a switch to become a Product Owner and now I am a Product Manager, so I feel pretty successful! I also feel blessed that I get to use Atlassian tools everyday! 

Like # people like this
vikram
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 21, 2024

When I was kid wanted to be soldier but now I am software engineer.

Like # people like this
Charlene Freeman March 21, 2024

When I was a little girl I wanted to be a teacher. I used to sit my stuffed animals in chairs and teach them math problems on a chalkboard. Now, I am working in my long time IT Career. Currently in a role as an Agile Coach teaching people in IT all about Agile, Scrum, Kanban, JIRA and Confluence as well as Dev and QA best practices.  When I retire I want to work on my poker playing hobby :)  #DotheMath Ha!

Like # people like this
Teodora _Old Street Solutions_Tempo_
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 22, 2024

As a kid, all I wanted was to work on something related to astronomy and stars. I have a terrible relationship with tight, closed spaces, so I was aware I was not meant to be in a spaceship. 🫠

But still close to the STARS, right @Fun Man Andy@Jimmy Seddon 😝

Like # people like this
Kristján Geir Mathiesen
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 22, 2024

Happy föstudagur and thanks for all your fun comments, guys!

@Teodora _Old Street Solutions_Tempo_ hahaha, you are very close to the STARS :)

Like # people like this
Barbara Szczesniak
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 22, 2024

I wanted to be a teacher. I loved school and, as a teacher, I could be there forever! Boy, was I young and naive. 😃 I ended up as a technical writer, where I get to teach people how to use software, without every seeing any of them. 

Like # people like this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 22, 2024

The original plan was to be extremely rich doing absolutely nothing.  As I have grown up, I've realized that I'm really bad at doing nothing.  Even my vacation days are spent doing something around the house.  But, that's ok, I stay entertained this way!

Like # people like this
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 25, 2024

A retiree

Like # people like this
Ram Kumar Aravindakshan _Adaptavist_
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 26, 2024

When I was a kid, I just wanted to be a video game player. Today, I'm just handling support tickets.

Like # people like this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events